The Department uses a combination of data integrity mechanisms to ensure the quality of programmatic performance data so that data can be effectively relied upon for program monitoring and reporting. WIOA title I and III programs use a three-tier system including:
- WIPS Edit Checks,
- Data Validation, and
- Quarterly Report Analysis
See program-specific guidance to determine what mechanisms apply to individual programs.
States and grantees are required to use a data validation strategy as outlined in Training and Employment Guidance Letter (TEGL) 07-18. The Department subsequently issued TEGL 23-19, which provides information to grant recipients of the U.S. Department of Labor workforce programs, including states, and provides guidelines for grant recipients to use in developing procedures for ensuring the data submitted for performance reporting are valid and reliable. DOL will not be providing a specific statistical validation sampling methodology, or specific data validation software. However, grant recipients are encouraged to incorporate a comprehensive random sampling methodology and procedure for the source documentation review of participant files into their data validation processes.
- WIOA Joint Data Validation Overview – this WorkforceGPS webinar provides an overview of the WIOA joint data validation requirements in TEGL 07-18.
- Overview: Validating Required Performance Data Submitted by DOL Grantees – this WorkforceGPS webinar provides an overview of the DOL-only data validation requirements in TEGL 23-19.
Quarterly Report Analysis (QRA)
The Department has established the QRA to address data expectations where logical validation cannot be applied and graphically places state results in context. The QRA is currently being piloted for WIOA Adult, WIOA Dislocated Worker, WIOA Youth, and Wagner-Peyser programs. States will receive results quarterly from regional staff and pilot states will respond to identified issues.
- QRA Descriptions – provides the current measures for each program including explanations of measure expectations and information on elements used to calculate each measure.
- Data Integrity Technical Assistance Tool: Quarterly Report Analysis for WIOA Titles I and III – this WorkforceGPS webinar provides information for states on the QRA process.
Interested in becoming a pilot state? Reach out to your regional contact to discuss joining the pilot.