Status of the Dictionary of Occupational Titles; use in Social Security disability adjudications
The Dictionary of Occupational Titles (DOT) was created under the sponsorship by the Employment and Training Administration (ETA), and was last updated in 1991. The DOT was replaced by the O*Net, and ETA no longer supports the DOT.
The O*Net is now the primary source of occupational information. It is sponsored by ETA through a grant to the North Carolina Department of Commerce. Thus, if you are looking for current occupational information you should use the O*Net.
The DOT was loaded onto the OALJ website because it was a standard reference in several types of cases adjudicated by the OALJ, especially immigration related matters. Time has passed, DOL’s regulations have changed, and OALJ now rarely adjudicates cases that reference the DOT.
So, why is the DOT still on the Office of Administrative Law Judges (OALJ) website? It is because the DOT is still used in Social Security disability adjudications and the OALJ copy of the DOT is often cited as an authoritative source of the DOT.
The Social Security Administration (SSA) is developing a new Occupational Information System (OIS), which will replace the DOT as the primary source of occupational information for use in the SSA disability adjudication process. SSA intends to have the OIS operational and to make necessary regulatory and policy updates by 2020.
A searchable PDF of the DOT is available in two volumes at HathiTrust.org:
- Volume One (Fourth Edition, Revised 1991)
- Volume Two (Fourth Edition, Revised 1991)
- Message from the Secretary
- Prefatory Note
- Special Notice
- Occupational Categories, Divisions, and Groups
- Master Titles and Definitions
- Term Titles and Definitions
- Occupational Definitions
- Professional, Technical, and Managerial Occupations
- Clerical and Sales Occupations
- Service Occupations
- Agricultural, Fishery, Forestry, and Related Occupations
- Processing Occupations
- Machine Trades Occupations
- Benchwork Occupations
- Structural Work
- Miscellaneous Occupations