The OALJ Law Library has separate libraries for the more commonly adjudicated case areas, such as whistleblower, immigration-related labor issues, Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, and OFCCP. The library you are in now covers the wide variety of the remaining case areas.
Employment and Training Administration
The Employment and Training Administration administers various federal government job training and worker dislocation programs, federal grants to states for public employment service programs, and unemployment insurance benefits programs. Some of these programs can involve disputes that result in a hearing before a DOL ALJ. ETA-related immigration and WIA cases are set out in separate collections. Because Job Service Complaint System disputes are usually (but not always) immigration-related, they are found in the Immigration collection. OALJ and ARB materials relating to other ETA-programs are found in this collection.
- Apprenticeship and Training: Equal Employment Opportunity
- Compensation Conformity Proceeding (and other decertification proceedings) (CCP)
- Older American Amendments of 1975 to the Older American Community Service Employment Act (OAA)
- Trade Act (TRA)
- "Unemployment Insurance" - Federal State Extended Unemployment Tax Act of 1970, 26 USC § 3304 et seq. (UIA)
- Welfare-to-Work audits and investigations (WTW)
Wage and Hour Division
The Wage and Hour Division (WHD) is responsible for administering and enforcing a wide variety of labor laws, such as the Federal minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping, and child labor requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act. WHD also enforces the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act, the Employee Polygraph Protection Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, wage garnishment provisions of the Consumer Credit Protection Act, and a number of employment standards and worker protections as provided in several immigration related statutes. Additionally, WHD administers and enforces the prevailing wage requirements of the Davis Bacon Act and the Service Contract Act and other statutes applicable to Federal contracts for construction and for the provision of goods and services. OALJ has separate libraries covering DBA and SCA adjudications, and immigration related WHD enforcement actions. Below are links to other WHD enforcement matters adjudicated by OALJ:
- Child labor (Fair Labor Standards Act)
- Collective Bargaining Variance
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Fair Labor Standards Act, generally
- Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Workers Protection Act
- Nondisplacement of Qualified Workers
Final Rule, Technical Corrections, Updating Regulations Issued Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, Service Contract Act, Davis-Bacon and Related Acts, Contract Work Hours and Safety Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, Employee Polygraph Protection Act, and the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act, 82 Fed. Reg. 2221 (Jan. 9, 2017)
[Removal of references to the Employment Standards Administration, which was eliminated in an agency reorganization in 2009; other technical corrections.]
- Judges' Benchbook: Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) including child labor provisions (CLA) (Revised Sept. 2021) (PDF)
Office of Labor-Management Standards
The Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS) administers certain "Standards of Conduct" cases relating to federal unions.
Other DOL Programs
This collection includes case types that are not agency specific or cases types about which only a small number of hearings are typically conducted. These include:
- The Debt Collection Act (DCA). These cases can arise from any agency within DOL.
- Program Fraud Civil Remedies Act (CRA)
- Petitions for modifications of mine safety standards (MSA). These cases arise out of the Mine Safety and Health Administration.
- Miscellaneous case types (MIS) (e.g., standing orders; attorney admission and discipline; orders disposing of matters because DOL does not have jurisdiction over the filing, etc.)