The area around the San Francisco Federal Building, where OALJ is located, is currently experiencing some challenges with unhealthy street behavior and safety concerns. Here are several suggestions to ensure that your visit to the office is safe and uneventful.
General Safety Tips
- Carry your wallet in the inside front pocket of your pants or jacket. Carry shoulder bags or other hand-bags under your arm, not by the handle. While sitting, keep the bag in your lap. In a restaurant, keep your purse in your lap, not over the back of the chair.
- Be alert, particularly in crowded situations. Staged distractions are a favorite ploy of pickpockets.
- Keep your eyes up, your ears open, and your phone down on city streets and on public transportation. This will lower the chance of theft and keep you safe on San Francisco’s busy streets.
- Walk in well-lit, busy areas.
- Do not advertise that you are a visitor. Place maps, travel brochures and valuables out of sight.
- Like many major cities in the world, San Francisco has a homeless population, especially around the San Francisco Federal Building. Most homeless individuals are harmless; however, some may infringe upon the rights of others. Demonstrate a combination of respect and caution around panhandlers and strangers.
- San Francisco is serviced by a network of commuter trains, subways, light rail, buses, cable cars, and streetcars. Plus, it's incredibly walkable. However, if you're not going to rely on Muni or BART and you will have a vehicle in the city, read up on all the rules and regulations about parking, driving in the city, and avoiding traffic before arriving at the building.
- When parking a car, place maps, travel brochures and valuables out of sight in the glove compartment or trunk. Never leave wallets, credit cards, checkbooks and/or purses in the vehicle. Park in well-lit, busy areas.
U.S. Department of Labor
Office of Administrative Law Judges
90 Seventh St
San Francisco, CA 94103-1516
Long Beach Courtroom
501 West Ocean Blvd
Long Beach, CA 90802
- Richard Manuel Clark, District Chief Judge
- Stewart F. Alford, IV
- Steven B. Berlin
- Susan L. Hoffman
- John Christopher Larsen
- Evan H. Nordby
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday
Closed on federal holidays