The Office of Administrative Law Judges (OALJ) adjudicates several types of immigration-related cases that originate from the Employment and Training Administration. The Board of Alien Labor Certification Appeals (BALCA) principally hears appeals brought by employers whose applications to certify non-U.S. citizens to work in the U.S. have been denied.
Individual ALJs also adjudicate cases involving non-immigrant worker programs, such as H-1B, H-2A and H-2B cases brought by the Wage and Hour Division. See Information for Aliens and Employers.
Interested persons may obtain information about the status of a BALCA appeal or immigration case by using the Case Status Lookup.
Immigration and Nationality Act
- 8 U.S.C. § 1101-1537
- 8 U.S.C. § 1101 Definitions.
- 8 U.S.C. § 1182 Inadmissible aliens.
- 8 U.S.C. § 1184 Admission of nonimmigrants.
Code of Federal Regulations
- Temporary Employment of Foreign Workers in the United States
- Permanent Employment of Aliens in the United States
- 20 C.F.R. Part 656 (eCFR.gov)
- Notice of Internal Board En Banc Procedures (Eff. Feb. 26, 2019; reissued as Memorandum Jan. 24, 2020)
- Designation of USDOL ALJs Serving on BALCA, 2022-MIS-00001 (Chief ALJ Oct. 20, 2021) (Memorandum)
- LCA Digest
- Prevailing Wage Guidance (Nov. 2009)
- En Banc Decisions 1987 to 2004
- En Banc Decisions 2006 to Present
- Federal Court Decisions
Selected decisions relating to permanent and temporary alien labor certification.
- ACM Decisions
Alien crew members for longshore activities in U.S. ports (WHD enforcement actions); Immigration and Nationality Act, 8 U.S.C. 1288(c) and (d); 20 C.F.R. Part 655, Subpart G (D cases)
- ARN Decisions
Alien registered nurses; Immigration Nursing Relief Act of 1989; 20 C.F.R. Part 655, Subparts D and E (H1-A cases), and 20 C.F.R. Part 655, Subparts L and M (H1-C cases)
- ETA, ESA, JSA and WPA Decisions
The Job Service Complaint System; Wagner-Peyser Act of 1933, as amended, 29 U.S.C. 49 et seq.; 38 U.S.C. Chapters 41 and 42; 20 C.F.R. Part 658
- JSW Decisions
Prevailing wage determination appeals during investigation into an employer's H-1B labor condition application (LCA); 20 C.F.R. § 655.731(d)
- LCA Decisions
Labor condition applications (LCA) (H-1B - WHD enforcement); 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(H)(i)(b), 1182(n); 20 C.F.R. Part 655, Subparts H and I
- PED Decisions
Debarment and revocation appeals (PERM, H-1B, and H-2B); 20 C.F.R. § 655.31(e)(4) and (5); 20 C.F.R. § 655.182(f)(2) and (3); 20 C.F.R. § 655.171(b) and 655.181(b)(2) and (3); 20 C.F.R. §§ 656.26(a), 656.31(f), 656.32.
- PWD Decisions
Prevailing wage determination appeals (PERM, H-1B, and H-2B labor certification applications)
- TAE Decisions
Temporary alien employment (H-2A and H-2B visas - WHD enforcement); Immigration & Nationality Act, 8 USC 1101(a)(15)(H)(ii)(a); 1188(c); 29 C.F.R. Part 501
- TLC Decisions
Temporary labor certification determinations (H-2A visas - ETA actions); 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(H)(ii)(a); 1188(c); 20 C.F.R. Part 655, Subpart B
- TLN Decisions
Temporary labor certification determinations (H-2B visa - ETA actions); 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(H)(ii)(b); 20 C.F.R. Part 655, Subpart A
- TNE Decisions
Temporary nonagricultural alien employment (H-2B visas - WHD enforcement); 20 C.F.R. § 655.71
- For decisions involving the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Workers Protection Act ("MSP"), see the Miscellaneous Traditional caselist.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook On Line
- O*Net Online
- O*Net-SOC Code Connector
- Online Wage Library
- Agricultural Wage Library
- Adverse Effect Wage Rates by State
- DBA/SCA Wages
- BLS National Compensation Survey
- BLS National Compensation Survey - Wages
- Occupational Employment Statistics
Employment and Training Administration (ETA)
Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
Office of the Solicitor (SOL)
- Division of Employment and Training Legal Services (ETA cases)
- Division of Fair Labor Standards (WHD cases)
- Regional Offices (WHD cases)