Here are some helpful tools employees can use to calculate how much money an individual will need at retirement:
- Taking The Mystery Out of Retirement Planning - This publication with interactive worksheets is designed to help individuals ten years or less away from retirement see if their retirement savings are on track.
- Lifetime Income Calculator - This calculator illustrates an annuitization approach to estimate the monthly lifetime income streams based on both the participant's current account balance and on the projected value of the account balance at retirement.
- CNN Money - This retirement planner helps you estimate how well your savings program is preparing you for retirement. First it helps you figure out how much you'll need. Then it tells you your chances of getting there.
- American Savings Education Council - The Ballpark Estimate is an easy-to-use, one-page worksheet that helps you quickly identify approximately how much you need to save to fund a comfortable retirement. The Ballpark Estimate takes complicated issues like projected Social Security benefits and earnings assumptions on savings, and turns them into language and mathematics that are easy to understand.
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority - These financial calculators are meant to provide you with some of the information necessary to make sound financial decisions and to plan for the future.