The Department distributes funding to states to administer the TAA program and fund benefits and services. Annual summaries of TAA data can be found in the Overview of TAA Data section. Technical assistance resources for states on financial reporting are now available in our Practitioner Resources.
Data on TAA Allocations
Information on funds allocated to states can be downloaded here. It is updated annually to include the most recent complete fiscal year (October through September). The earliest available allocation data depends on the particular funding source, but this includes all available data through FY 2021. This was last updated on 01/28/2022.
Details on specific fund distributions and their requirements can be found under the specific directive providing those funds on the TAA Directives and Guidance page. Visit the Budget page for information on the TAA Budget FUBA Account.
Overview of TAA Funding
States typically receive three grant funding streams for each Fiscal Year*:
- Training and Other Activities (TaOA): TaOA funds are used to for TAA training, case management activities, job search allowances, relocation allowances, and administration. This is a three year grant meaning that funds distributed in FY 2021 can be used during FY 2021, FY 2022, or FY 2023.
- Administration Funds: TaOA funds include money for the administration of the program. The amount of funds able to be spent on administration is statutorily capped. In most years, the amount is capped at 10% of funds provided, but some years are subject to a different amount as discussed in the specific directive providing those funds: TAA Directives and Guidance.
- Case Management Funds: TaOA funds include money for funding case management and employment services. There is a statutory minimum requiring states to spend at least 5% of funds provided on case management and employment services.
- Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA): TRA funds are used for providing Trade Readjustment Allowances. This grant stream is for one year, meaning FY 2021 funds can only be used during FY 2021. This grant is administered as an Unemployment Insurance grant.
- Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance (ATAA) and Reemployment Trade Adjustment Assistance (RTAA): A/RTAA funds are funds are used for providing these two specific benefits. This grant stream is for one year, meaning FY 2021 funds can only be used during FY 2021. This grant is administered as an Unemployment Insurance grant.
*Historic funds did not always follow this same model.