Learn about your rights as you make your way into the workforce.
Ensure your child’s job does not jeopardize their health, well-being, or educational opportunities.
Help educate young workers and their parents on child labor requirements.
Understand if and how you can employ minors at your company.
State Labor Laws
Some state child labor laws are inconsistent with the federal child labor provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, 29 U.S.C. 212(c), and its implementing regulations at 29 CFR Part 570. Where a state child labor law is less restrictive than the federal law, the federal law applies. Where a state child labor law is more restrictive than the federal law, the state law applies.
Many investigations are initiated by complaints, which are free and confidential. The name of the complainant, the nature of the complaint, and whether a complaint exists may not be disclosed. An employer cannot retaliate against a worker for exercising their rights, filing a complaint or cooperating with an investigation.
Contact Us Now
Share Our Message
Download resources and graphics for talking about young workers’ rights and safety in your community.
- Facebook: DepartmentOfLabor
- Instagram: @USDOL
- Wage and Hour Division
- U.S. Department of Labor
- Hashtags: #WorkersRights #YouthRules #KeepTeenWorkersSafe
- Does your 14- or 15-year-old child want a job bussing tables? Bagging groceries? Working at a local pool, marina, or golf course? Know the federal limits on their hours and tasks. YouthRules.gov
- Know a young worker? Tell them about @WHD_DOL’s timesheet app. It’s free and can be found in the Android and iPhone app stores by searching for “DOL-Timesheet.” https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/timesheet-app
- Are you owed back wages from an employer? @WHD_DOL may have collected them for you. Check out their database of unclaimed money and submit a claim today! dol.gov/wow
Download Our Timesheet App
Track your work hours and calculate your pay automatically with the DOL-Timesheet App. Add comments, use multiple pay frequency options, and additional pay calculations. It’s free and available in English and Spanish.
Scan this QR code to get started.