What We Do
The Chief Evaluation Office (CEO), established in 2010, coordinates, manages, and implements the Department of Labor's (DOL's) evaluation program. CEO is an independent evaluation office, located organizationally in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Policy. CEO works closely with all offices and agencies throughout DOL to develop and implement evaluations that address priorities set by the Secretary and the agencies. CEO also collaborates externally with colleagues in other Federal Departments and in the professional evaluation and research community.
CEO is committed to high-quality independent evaluations and institutionalizing an evidence-based culture at the Department. Evaluation results and products are disseminated in various formats appropriate to practitioners, evaluators, and policymakers.
CEO is committed to compliance with the DOL Evaluation Policy, which presents key principles that govern DOL's planning, conduct, and use of program evaluations. The policy represents a commitment to conducting rigorous, relevant evaluations and to using evidence from evaluations to inform policy and practice.
Department of Labor Evaluation Policy
How We Work
Led by the Chief Evaluation Officer, Molly Irwin, the CEO staff coordinates, manages, and implements DOL's evaluation program. Studies are typically carried out by independent external evaluators selected through competitive procurement.
Agencies We Work With
To develop and implement evaluations, CEO works closely with all offices and agencies throughout DOL, including:
- Bureau for International Labor Affairs (ILAB)
- Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA)
- Employment and Training Administration (ETA)
- Mining Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP)
- Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP)
- Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS)
- Office of the Solicitor (SOL)
- Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP)
- Veterans Employment and Training Services (VETS)
- Wage & Hour Division (WHD)
- Women's Bureau (WB)