Veteran Unemployment Rate 3.4 Percent in August
In August 2019, the veteran unemployment rate was 3.4 percent, holding steady at the same rate as last month. The non-veteran unemployment rate for August 2019 was 3.6 percent (seasonally adjusted). Utilizing the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate, this is the 12th consecutive month the veteran unemployment rate was lower than the non-veteran unemployment rate. View the full report.
ICYMI: Seasonally and Non-Seasonally Adjusted Data
Historically, we have referenced the not seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for veterans. However, beginning July 2019, the Bureau of Labor Statistics began publishing the seasonally adjusted veteran unemployment rate. This adjustment accounts for any predictable seasonal patterns in the data and allows for better month-to-month comparisons; we will utilize this data series going forward.
The full seasonally adjusted veteran unemployment rate series going back to 2003 is available here: Veteran Seasonally Adjusted Unemployment Rates. If you are interested in the non-adjusted data, that is still available here: Non-Seasonally Adjusted Data.
The annual veteran unemployment rate declined to 3.5% in 2018 – the lowest level since 2000.
Read the full report.
Some highlights from the 2018 report include:
- The jobless rate for all veterans fell to an 18-year low of 3.5% in 2018, from its peak at 9.9% in 2011.
- Unemployment for veterans who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces at any time since September 2001 dropped from 4.5 percent in 2017, to 3.5 percent in 2018 – the lowest rate recorded since BLS began collecting the data in 2008.
- The unemployment rate for women veterans fell to 3.0 percent in 2018.
- Among the 326,000 unemployed veterans in 2018, nearly 60 percent were age 45 and over; 35 percent were ages 25-44, and 6 percent were ages 18-24.
- As of August 2018, about 1 in 3 employed veterans with a service-connected disability worked in the public sector, compared to about 1 in 5 veterans with no disability.
- The unemployment rate of veterans varied across the country, ranging from 1.4 percent in Iowa to 6.5 percent in the District of Columbia.