In 2009, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act amended the Trade Act of 1974 to authorize the Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training (TAACCCT) Grant Program.
On March 30, 2010, the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (Reconciliation Act), Public Law No. 111-152, 19 USC 2372 - 2372a, appropriated $2 billion for fiscal years 2011 - 2014 ($500 million annually for each of four years) for the TAACCCT program. Due to sequestration, $1.938 billion of that amount was obligated.
In accordance with the requirements of TAACCCT, the Department awarded at least 0.5 percent of the total amount of available funds each year to eligible institutions in each state, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. Funding by state is summarized in The Broad Reach of TAACCCT Funding.
- Original legislation regarding the TAACCCT program as sections 278 and 279 of subchapter B of Chapter 4 of Title II of the Trade Act of 1974 (Trade Act) included in section 1872 of the Trade and Globalization Adjustment Act of 2009 (Division B, Title I, Subtitle I of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 P.L. 111-5, and codified at 19 USC 2372 - 2372a).
- Amendment to the Trade Act authorizing and funding the TAACCCT for FYs 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 included in the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (P.L. 111-152).
- Amendment to the Trade Act clarifying the requirement for an annual report to Congress on the TAACCCT program included in Section 101(c)(8) of the Omnibus Trade Act of 2010 (P.L. 111-344).
- Amendments to the Trade Act expanding the reporting requirements for the TAACCCT program, striking subchapters A, C, and D of Chapter 4 of Title II and re-designating Sections 278 and 279 and Sections 271 and 272 included in Section 222 of the Trade Adjustment Assistance Extension Act of 2011, enacted on October 21, 2011 (P.L. 112-40).
- Note that Section 236 of the TAA for Workers program, referred to in the first TAACCCT SGA, is included in Chapter 2 of Title II of the Trade Act of 1974 (19 USC 2271 et seq.).