Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
Davis-Bacon and Related Acts (DBRA) Frequently Asked Questions
I. Davis-Bacon Wage Determinations
- What is a wage determination?
- What is a General Wage Determination?
- What is a project wage determination?
- What are supersedeas wage determinations?
- What is a modification to a wage determination?
II. Obtaining Davis-Bacon Wage Determinations
- How do I subscribe to General Wage Determinations Issued Under The Davis-Bacon and Related Acts?
- Are the General Wage Determinations available electronically?
- How do I obtain a wage determination for a construction project to be performed at a location not covered by a published wage determination?
- Where can I obtain a copy of the General Wage Determination needed for a covered federal project?
III. Prevailing Wage Rates
- Is the rate on the wage determination the minimum hourly wage rate?
- Once construction has begun, are the workers- wage rates affected when the wage determination for the area in which the project is located is changed?
- Is it possible for more than one wage schedule to apply to specifications for a particular contract?
- Can apprentices, trainees, and/or helpers work on a project covered by the Davis-Bacon or related Acts (DBRA), and what wage rates must they be paid?
- What wage rates must be paid to supervisory employees (foremen, superintendents, etc.) employed on a covered project?
IV. Davis-Bacon Wage Surveys
- What criteria are used to determine the need for a survey in a particular area?
- What is the purpose of this survey?
- How are Davis-Bacon wage surveys conducted?
- Who does the Department of Labor contact during the survey?
- What is a peak week?
- May we report an average of wage rates?
- In order to submit wage data for a survey, do I have to have worked within the survey time frame?
- Do I have to participate in a survey and is it important to participate?
- In responding to a Davis-Bacon prevailing wage survey, what can we count as fringe benefits?
- How are prevailing wage rates calculated?
- How should wage data be reported for operating engineers on the WD-10 form?
- How should wage data be reported for laborers on the WD-10 form?
- How should wage data be reported for ironworkers on the WD-10 form?
- When is data from federal projects included in Davis-Bacon wage surveys?
V. Appeal Process
- If it is believed that the rates on a wage determination are not accurate can the wage determination be appealed?
VI. Contracting Agency Responsibilities
- How do workers on a construction site know that a project is covered by the Davis-Bacon Act?- How do they know the prevailing wage to which they are entitled?
- As the contracting officer/Federal agency representative, what is my obligation when the wage determination(s) applicable to a construction project contains multiple wage schedules (for different counties and/or types of construction)?
- The wage determination applicable to my project does not contain a class of workers which is needed to complete construction.- Can other worker classification(s) and wage rate(s) be approved for use on the project?