Stand Downs are typically one- to three-day events providing supplies and services to homeless Veterans, such as food, shelter, clothing, health screenings and VA Social Security benefits counseling. Veterans can also receive referrals to other assistance such as health care, housing solutions, employment, substance use treatment and mental health counseling. They are collaborative events, coordinated between local VA Medical Centers, the Department of Labor (DOL), other government agencies and community-based homeless service providers.
DOL's Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) awards Stand Down funding through the Homeless Veterans’ Reintegration Program (HVRP) on an annual basis, pending funding reauthorization.
This noncompetitive grant is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to support one day or multi-day events at up to $7,000 or $10,000, respectively.
Eligible entities include:
- state workforce agencies
- state and local workforce investment boards
- veterans service organizations
- local public agencies and nonprofit organizations, including community and faith-based organizations
Applications for funds will be accepted from State and Local Workforce Investment Boards, Public agencies, non-profit organizations, including faith-based and community-based and neighborhood partnerships. Applicants must have a familiarity with the area and population to be served and the ability to administer an effective and timely program.
*Note that entities organized under Section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code are not eligible to receive funds under this announcement. Section 18 of the Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995, Public Law 104-65, 109 Stat. 691 (2 U.S.C. 1611) prohibits instituting an award, grant, or loan of federal funds to 501(c)(4) entities that engage in lobbying.
Entities that are debarred or suspended shall be excluded from Federal financial assistance and are ineligible to receive a Stand Down grant.
- Federal Financial Report, SF 424 OMB No. 4040-0014, Exp. 02/28/2022 (PDF)
- Application for Federal Assistance, SF 424 OMB No. 4040-0004, Exp. 12/31/2022 (PDF)
- Budget Information - Non-Construction Programs, SF 424 A OMB No. 4040-0006, Exp. 02/28/2022 (PDF)
- Stand Down After Action Report OMB No. 1293-0014, Exp. 06/30/2023 (PDF)