When on-site, COs must interview current employees including those identified as possible members of an adversely affected class and members of the favored group. The COs must also interview other individuals who may have information that is relevant to potential problem areas. Examples of the types of information that COs should plan to obtain during the interview are below. COs should always be alert to opportunities to ask necessary follow-up questions and pursue unexpected avenues of inquiry that open up during the interview.
- Do you know whether management uniformly applies [describe the practice or procedure under investigation]? Does management make exceptions to the process? If so, under what circumstances or when are exceptions made?
- Do you have first-hand experience with the practice or procedure? If so, explain when and under what circumstances?
- What are the duties associated with the job at issue? Are the qualifications for the job necessary or related to job performance?
- Are you aware of company policies and procedures related to EEO? Do any of them prohibit the discussion of compensation?
- Are you aware of any instances where the company violated EEO policies?
- Do you know anyone else who might have knowledge about this practice or procedure?