Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
State Labor Legislation
The Wage and Hour Division (WHD) tracks state legislation on 34 labor-related topics. Below is a summary of major state labor laws enacted in the previous calendar year that fall under those categories. The summary is also accompanied by a chart that lists the bill numbers of each piece of enacted legislation, by the labor legislation categories that are tracked by WHD.
Previously, this information was published on an annual basis in the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Monthly Labor Review. State labor legislation articles from previous years have been archived under the subject category of “State Government” in the Monthly Labor Review Archive, http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/subject/s.htm.
For more information on a particular state government or state legislation, visit http://www.govspot.com/site/about.htm.
Summary of State Labor Legislation Enacted in 2014
- The timeframe of this report covers legislative activity from January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014.
- In 2014, 46 states and the District of Columbia met in regular legislative session. The following four states did not meet in regular legislative session in 2014: Montana, North Dakota, Nevada, and Texas. A number of states also met in special sessions to address issues of particular interest or immediate necessity.
- During the reporting timeframe of this report, 41 states and the District of Columbia enacted or amended labor legislation relevant to the categories tracked by WHD.
- A total of 208 bills were introduced and then enacted by the states and the District of Columbia, encompassing 27 of the 34 legislative categories tracked by WHD.
- The 34 legislative categories that were tracked in 2014 are:
Agriculture Hours of Work "Other" or "Miscellaneous" Legislation Time off from Work Child Labor Genetic Testing for Employment Purposes* Overtime Unfair Labor Practices Discharge of Employees Human Trafficking Overtime Worked in the Health Care Industry* Wages Paid Drug and Alcohol Testing Immigration Legislation Plant Closing and the Displacement or Replacement of Workers Whistleblowers Employee Leasing Independent Contractors (more specifically, Employee Misclassification as Independent Contractors) Preference of Employers Regarding Employees Worker Privacy Employment Agency Inmate Labor Prevailing Wage Workers with Disabilities Equal Employment Opportunity Living Wage (Statewide)* Right to Work* Workplace Security Family Leave Issues Minimum Wage and Tipped Employees State Departments of Labor Workplace Violence Garment Activity* Offsite Work*
Not every piece of state labor legislation enacted in the past year falls into one of the 34 legislative categories tracked by WHD. Among the legislative issues that are excluded from the report are those which:
(1) Amend existing state law, but are strictly technical in nature,
(2) Affect only a limited number of individuals,
(3) Require the undertaking or the distribution of an issue study for a legislature or a governor, or
(4) Deal with operational or funding matters related to a specific issue.
(5) Also not covered are areas of labor legislation that concentrate on issues relating to occupational safety and health, employment and training, labor relations, employee background checks (except for those dealing with potential national security issues), economic security, and local-area living wage ordinances.
Enacted State Labor Legislation – Senate & House Bills
Interim Report for 2014 (01/01/2014 –12/31/2014)
|States||Agriculture||Child Labor||State DOL||Disabled Workers||Discharge of Employee||Drug & Alcohol Testing||EEO||Employment Agency||Employee Leasing||Family Leave Issues||Garment Activity||Genetic Testing||Hours Worked||Human Trafficking||Immigration Legislation||Independent Contractor||Inmate Labor||Living Wage - Statewide||Minimum Wage & Tipped Wages||Miscellaneous||Off-site Work||Other Legislation||Overtime||Overtime Health Care||Plant Closing||Preference of Employees||Prevailing Wage||Right to Work||Time Off from Work||Unfair Labor Practice||Wages Paid||Whistleblower||Workers With Disabilities||Worker Privacy||Workplace Security||Workplace Violence|
|Total # of Enacted Bills||6||11||2||15||1||2||17||3||2||4||0||0||5||27||4||5||1||0||17||6||0||0||2||0||0||8||12||0||8||1||19||4||0||14||5||3|
|Total # of States that Enacted Bills in this Category||6||7||2||10||1||2||11||3||2||3||0||0||5||18||3||5||1||0||15||6||0||0||2||0||0||7||6||0||7||1||12||4||0||12||4||3|
|District of Columbia||B-1012||B-459||B-480||B-1012|