COVID-19 FAQ's for Claimants

We’re committed to supporting maritime employees and other workers covered under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA).  Find answers here to questions about filing a claim for COVID-19 under the LHWCA.

Guidance for Employees on Filing a COVID-19 Claim

  1. Am I covered under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act if I contract COVID-19 at work? 

If you believe that you contracted COVID-19 at work, you may have a covered injury. Be prepared to provide evidence that you were diagnosed with COVID-19 and that it is related to your work exposure.

You should follow the guidelines for “What to do if you are injured” found here: (English) (Español)

Specifically, you should:

  1. Where do I submit Forms LS-201, LS-203 or LS-262?

You may submit the completed forms by any of the following methods:

  • Online at Use the “Submit New Claim or Report of Injury” section to submit a new claim;
  • By fax: 202-513-6814; or
  • By mail: OWCP/DFELHWC, 400 West Bay Street, Room 63A, Box 28, Jacksonville, FL 32202.
  1. When does coverage for COVID-19 begin?

Coverage begins as soon as the illness requires medical testing or treatment, but only if it is established to be a compensable work-related illness.  If your claim is accepted by the self-insured employer or carrier as work-related and compensable, coverage of reasonable and necessary medical treatment should begin. 

More information is available in the “What Happens After a Claim is filed” section of our website.

En Español:

  1. If I contracted COVID-19 at work and cannot work, am I entitled to wage loss compensation?

If you can’t work for more than three days due to a work-related exposure to COVID-19, you are due compensation for loss of wages related to the COVID-19 diagnosis.  If you are incapacitated from work for more than 14 days, you are entitled to compensation starting from the first day of disability.

  1. Will you accept electronic signatures on documents, including claims for compensation?

Yes, we will accept documents with electronic signatures.

  1. Can you help me file a claim for compensation? 

Yes. Call 202-513-6809 for help.