Division of Federal Employees', Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation (DFELHWC)
ON THIS PAGE
This page is designed for claimants, injured workers and beneficiaries. You will find information about our program and services, what you need to know to file a claim for a work-related injury or death benefits, what benefits are available to you, and how to contact us if you need assistance with your claim.
Para ver esta página en español, haga clic AQUÍ.
For specific information about your case, please contact the OWCP Longshore program at 202-513-6809. For more contact information, view the Contact Us page.
If you have not yet filed a claim and/or have general questions about the claims process that are not addressed in this on-line guidance, please contact the OWCP Longshore program at 202-513-6809.
What to do if you are injured
- Notify your employer immediately. If you need medical treatment, ask your employer for a Form LS-1 , which authorizes treatment by a doctor of your choice.
- Obtain necessary medical treatment as soon as possible.
- Give written notice of your injury within 30 days to your employer on Form LS-201. Notice of death must also be given within 30 days. Additional time is provided for certain hearing loss and occupational disease claims. Contact The OWCP Longshore program for additional information regarding these types of claims.
- File a written claim for compensation on Form LS-203 within one year after the date of injury or last payment of compensation, whichever is later. A claim for survivor benefits must be filed within one year after the date of death.
What Happens After a Claim is Filed
Medical Benefits - If you suffered an injury at work, your employer, or its insurance company, should pay for the medical treatment required for your injury.
Disability Compensation - If you lost more than three days from work and sustained wage loss, your employer, or its insurance company, should pay you compensation for the lost time. If you believe you have sustained a permanent disability or impairment as a result of your injury, you are advised to file a written claim on Form LS-203 within one year of the injury or one year from the date of last payment of compensation.
- For more detailed information, review the Longshore and Defense Base Act "Frequently Asked Questions" available on this website. Basic information is provided pertaining to benefits you may be entitled to, which include the following: compensation for wage loss and/or permanent impairment, payment for reasonable and necessary medical treatment and vocational rehabilitation if you cannot return to your usual job. You can also find guidelines for calculation of your Average Weekly Wage (AWW) and important information concerning deadlines for filing a claim for benefits.
Document Submission - If you need to submit documentation related to your case file, you can electronically submit it to your case file for immediate receipt though the Secure Electronic Access Portal (SEAPortal). Electronically uploaded documents will be entered directly into your case and received by the Claims Examiner the same day. You can access the SEAPortal from any internet browser at: seaportal.dol.gov. When you access the website, you will be asked to provide your case number, last name, date of birth and date of injury to upload a document. The SEAPortal will then provide you with a Tracking Number so that you can verify when OWCP has received your document.
- For more detailed information on how to submit documents to our office, review the Document Submission and Communication with OWCP "Frequently Asked Questions."
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
- Defense Base Act FAQs
- Document Submission and Communication with OWCP
- Insurance and Employer Responsibilities
- Special Fund Benefits
- Vocational Rehabilitation
|OWCP's Form Title/Description
|Request for Examination and/or Treatment
|Approval of Compromise of Third Person Cause of Action
|Report of Earnings
|Notice of Employee's Injury or Death
|Employee's Claim for Compensation
|Claim for Death Benefits
|Certification of Funeral Expenses
|Application for Continuation of Death Benefit for Student
Benefits and Claim Information
- Longshore Rates Page (NAWW, Federal Reserve Interest Rates, GSA mileage)
- DBA page
- DBA Notice to Employees (PDF)
- Special Fund page - payment schedule
- For law and other reference material and procedure guides, visit the DLHWC Home Page.