English Spanish

Division of Federal Employees', Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation (DFELHWC)

The Special Fund (also known as the "Second Injury Fund") pays certain types of claims and expenses authorized by the LHWCA. Claims are paid by the Special Fund only upon application by an authorized insurance carrier or self-insured employer or by Order of the District Director or Administrative Law Judge. Once the application is accepted for payment by the Special Fund, the OWCP's Longshore National Office processes payment, and the U.S. Treasury issues the benefit payments. See FAQs 41-42. If you have any questions regarding how benefits are being paid in any particular case, contact us.