To find a list of current companies (Entity) or individuals that have been declared ineligible to receive federal contracts due to a violation of Executive Order 11246, as amended; Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. Section 793); and/or the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended (38 U.S.C. Section 4212), follow the instructions below to access the System for Award Management (SAM). SAM contains the electronic roster of debarred companies excluded from Federal procurement and non‐procurement programs throughout the U.S. Government (unless otherwise noted) and from receiving Federal contracts or certain subcontracts and from certain types of Federal financial and nonfinancial assistance and benefits. The SAM system combines data from the Central Contractor Registration, Federal Register, Online Representations and Certification Applications, and the Excluded Parties List System.


Click the link. You will leave the U.S. Department of Labor's website and enter the SAM website.

  1. How to search for an entity or individual in SAM

    Click "SEARCH RECORDS" tab

    In the search bars type in the Entity name or using an exclusion search term, Duns & Bradstreet number (DUNs) and/or the Entity Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) code. You can only use one search bar at a time to search for records. Individuals are not assigned a DUNs number or CAGE code. When checking for a debarred individual, conduct the search by typing the name in the top bar.

    Click "SEARCH" to retrieve a list of results. Entities with "Exclusion" listed in purple are currently debarred, while those labeled "Entity" in green do not have exclusions. In the right upper corner of the webpage, click one of the three buttons (PDF, Export CSV, or Print) to export or print the search results.

    Click "VIEW DETAILS" to view SAM’s information about the entities. 1. Entity Overview, 2. Entity Records, 3. Core Data on the Entity, 4. Assertions, 5. Representations and Certifications, 6. Point of Contact Person and 7. Whether the entity exclusions are active or inactive.

  2. How to obtain file records from SAM

    At the top of the webpage click the "DATA ACCESS" tab. The SAM webpage provides instructions for accessing and obtaining data extracts for entities located in SAM. Click the "Exclusions Extract Data Package" section for a complete list of active debarred contracts.

Contact for General Information & Help:

SAM Customer Service:
Federal Service Desk‐gov/
Hours: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. (Eastern Time)
U.S. Calls: 1-866-606-8220
International Calls: 334-206-7828