Building on Dr. King’s Legacy: Launch of HIRE, a Hiring Initiative to Reimagine Equity
The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) invite you to a virtual public roundtable on January 19, 2022, to commemorate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and launch HIRE: a Hiring Initiative to Reimagine Equity. A multi-year collaborative effort chaired by EEOC Chair Charlotte Burrows and OFCCP Director Jenny R. Yang, HIRE will engage a broad array of stakeholders to expand access to good jobs and address key hiring and recruiting challenges. HIRE will identify strategies to remove hiring barriers along the lines of race, color, ethnicity, gender, LGBTQ+ status, religion, disability, age and veteran status.
The fight for equal opportunity in the form of better jobs and higher wages played a critical role in Dr. King’s work. This roundtable, the first in a series of convenings, will focus on strategies for advancing racial equity and will bring together employers, worker and civil rights organizations, and researchers to understand how we can reimagine hiring practices in ways that advance equity and access to good jobs for underrepresented communities. As our nation rebuilds from the pandemic and adapts to a changing economy, the discussion will explore opportunities to connect and scale actionable solutions to advance equity in hiring.
- Jenny R. Yang, Director, U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Contract Compliance Programs
- Charlotte A. Burrows, Chair, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Jocelyn Samuels, Vice Chair, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Sindy Benavides, CEO, League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)
- Lola Smallwood Cuevas, Project Director and Founder of Los Angeles Black Workers Center, UCLA Labor Center
- Kathleen Lundquist, President and CEO, APTMetrics
- Fred Redmond, Secretary-Treasurer, AFL-CIO
- Veta Richardson, President and CEO, Association of Corporation Counsel
- Cid Wilson, President and CEO, Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility
Date & time: Jan. 19, 2022, 2-3 p.m. ET