ON THIS PAGE
This page is designed for Employers to assist them in all matters of compliance with the LHWCA and its extensions. Employers will find information about our program and services, your rights and responsibilities under the law, and how to contact us if you need assistance.
As a covered employer, what are my responsibilities under the Act?
1. You must secure Longshore insurance coverage through the purchase of insurance from an authorized carrier or by obtaining authorization from the OWCP to be self-insured. Failure to secure Longshore insurance may lead to criminal and civil liability. See FAQ #10.
2. You must submit the Form LS-202, Employer's First Report of Injury, to the OWCP within 10 days of your knowledge of any injury which causes loss of one or more shifts. The LS-202 must be filed through SEAPortal (https://seaportal.dol.gov/portal/?program) or by mail at: OWCP/DFELHWC, 400 West Bay Street, Room 63A, Box 28, Jacksonville, FL 32202. See Document Submission and Communication with OWCP FAQ #15.
3. You should authorize medical care upon request from the injured worked using the Form LS-1.
4. You should notify your insurance carrier promptly of all work-related injuries.
5. You must post an up-to-date Form LS-241 (if you are insured by a carrier) or Form LS-242 (if you are permissibly self-insured) at each place where you conduct your business. These forms are provided by the Insurance Carrier when the policy is issued. Employers should request from their carrier. Carriers and self-insurers should request from their corporate compliance department.
|Form Number||OWCP's Form Title/Description|
|LS-1||Request for Examination and/or Treatment|
|LS-201||Notice of Employee's Injury or Death|
|LS-202||Employer's First Report of Injury or Occupational Illness|
|LS-241 / LS-242||Notice to Employees (This form is provided by the Insurance Carrier when the policy is issued. Employers should request from their carrier. Carriers and self-insurers should request from their corporate compliance department.)|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
- Defense Base Act
- Document Submission and Communication with OWCP
- Insurance and Employer Responsibilities
- Special Fund Benefits
- Vocational Rehabilitation
Insurance and Industry Information
- Longshore Industry Notices - Authorized documents from the DLHWC National Office to our stakeholders that establishes guidelines, responsibilities and information for application of the LHWCA and its extensions.
- Authorized Carriers and Self-Insured Employers
- Defense Base Act Page اللغة العربية
- Defense Base Act Industry Report Card
- For law and other reference material and procedure guides, visit the Longshore Home Page.