This section is incorportated into Section 11326, by reference, and is therefore applicable to Section 5333(b) mass transit employee protections.
(a) Notice of Discontinuance
(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, at least 90 days before a discontinuance under section 24704 or 24707(a) or (b) of this title, Amtrak shall give notice of the discontinuance in the way Amtrak decides will give a State, a regional or local authority, or another person the opportunity to agree to share the cost of any part of the train, route, or service to be discontinued.
(2) Notice of the discontinuance under section 24704 or 24707(a) or (b) of this title shall be posted in all stations served by the train to be discontinued at least 14 days before the discontinuance.
(b)Discontinuance for Lack of Appropriations
(1) Amtrak may discontinue service under section 24704 or 24707(a) or (b) of this title during -
(A) the first month of a fiscal year if the authorization of appropriations and the appropriations for Amtrak are not enacted at least 90 days before the beginning of the fiscal year; and
(B) the 30 days following enactment of an appropriation for Amtrak or a rescission of an appropriation.
(2) Amtrak shall notify each affected State or regional or local transportation authority of a discontinuance under this subsection as soon as possible after Amtrak decides to discontinue the service.
(c) Employee Protective Arrangements.
(1) Amtrak or a rail carrier (including a terminal company) shall provide fair and equitable arrangements to protect the interests of employees of Amtrak or a rail carrier, as the case may be, affected by a discontinuance of intercity rail passenger service, including a discontinuance of service provided by a rail carrier under a facility or service agreement under section 24308(a) of this title under a modification or ending of the agreement or because Amtrak begins providing that service. Arrangements shall include provisions that may be necessary for
(A) the preservation of rights, privileges, and benefits (including continuation of pension rights and benefits) under existing collective bargaining agreements or otherwise;
(B) the continuation of collective bargaining rights;
(C) the protection of individual employees against a worsening of their positions related to employment;
(D) assurances of priority of reemployment of employees whose employment is ended or who are laid off; and
(E) paid training and retraining programs.
(2) With respect to Amtrak's obligations under this subsection and in an agreement
to carry out this subsection involving only Amtrak and its employees, a discontinuance
of intercity rail passenger service does not include an adjustment in frequency,
or seasonal suspension of intercity rail passenger trains that causes a temporary
suspension of service, unless the adjustment or suspension reduces passenger
train operations on a particular route to fewer than 3 round trips a week at
any time during a calendar year.
(3) Arrangements under this subsection shall provide benefits at least equal to benefits established under section 11347 of this title.
(4) A contract under this chapter or section 24308(a) of this title shall specify the terms of protective arrangements.
(5) This subsection does not impose on Amtrak an obligation of a rail carrier related to a right, privilege, or benefit earned by an employee because of previous service performed for the carrier.
(6) This subsection does not apply to Amtrak Commuter.
REPEAL OF 49 U.S.C. § 24706
SELECTED PORTIONS of:PL 105-134, December 2, 1997, 111 Stat 2570
(a) SHORT TITLE.--This Act may be cited as the "Amtrak Reform and Accountability Act of 1997".
* * * * * *
SUBTITLE C - EMPLOYEE PROTECTION REFORMS
Sec. 141. Railway Labor Act Procedures
* * * * * *
(e) NO PRECEDENT FOR FREIGHT. - Nothing in this Act, or in any amendment made by this Act, shall affect the level of protection provided to freight railroad employees and mass transportation employees as it existed on the day before the date of enactment of this Act.
Sec. 142. Service Discontinuance
(a) REPEAL.--Section 24706(c) is repealed.
(b) EXISTING CONTRACTS.--Any provision of a contract entered into before the date of the enactment of this Act between Amtrak and a labor organization representing Amtrak employees relating to employee protective arrangements and severance benefits applicable to employees of Amtrak is extinguished, including all provisions of Appendix C-2 to the National Railroad Passenger Corporation Agreement, signed July 5, 1973.
(c) SPECIAL EFFECTIVE DATE.--Subsections (a) and (b) of this section shall take effect 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.