We have compiled frequently asked questions on various topics within the Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization. Search for your question from the list below.

1. How does a small business become officially designated as a Small Disadvantaged Business?

Small businesses may be certified as Small Disadvantaged Businesses by the Small Business Administration (SBA). Small Disadvantaged Businesses are eligible to receive certain preferences in federal procurement actions. Information on certification and procurement preference programs is available from SBA at Small Business certifications & Audiences.


2. What business opportunities does the Department of Labor have for my business?

The Department of Labor annually publishes its current and planned procurements and grants in the Procurement Forecast. The Procurement Forecast is also available in hardcopy from the Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization, Room N-6432, 200 Constitution Avenue N.W., Washington D.C. 20210; (202) 693-7299. You may obtain additional information by attending Vendor Outreach Sessions hosted quarterly by the Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization. Vendors may sign up by registering online at Vendor Outreach Sessions


3. How do I become a Department of Labor vendor?

There are no pre-registration requirements to become a DOL vendor (i.e. contract with a DOL agency). Vendors are free to market at Vendor Outreach Sessions, follow-up on opportunities in the Procurement Forecast, and to communicate directly with Agency Small Business Contacts. The Vendor Outreach Sessions are particularly beneficial to vendors because they can meet several DOL agency personnel in one visit.


4. Where can I obtain a loan or a grant to help start or grow my small business?

While the Department of Labor cannot provide financial assistance to small businesses, the Small Business Administration has a number of programs to financially and technically assist developing small businesses.The SBA Answer Desk may be reached by phone at (800) 827-5722 or answerdesk@sba.gov. The Department of Commerce also has programs to assist small businesses (phone 202-482-2000).


5. Does the Department of Labor buy information technology services and supplies?

Yes. Information technology business opportunities are identified in the Procurement Forecast. The Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization has also published a list of DOL Agency Information Technology Contacts. The Department's quarterly Vendor Outreach Sessions provide an efficient means of effectively marketing your capabilities face-to-face with DOL agency information technology personnel.


6. Does DOL buy from General Services Administration (GSA) Schedules?

The Department of Labor takes advantage of the efficiencies of procuring goods and services from GSA's Schedule Contracts. Information on becoming a GSA Schedule vendor is available from GSA.


7. What procurement preferences are available to small businesses?

The federal government utilizes several procurement preference programs for small businesses, including:

Information on qualifying for and utilizing these programs is available from the Small Business Administration (SBA).


8. What is the Department of Labor's annual procurement budget?

The Department of Labor spends approximately $1.9 Billion for goods and services (information technology and equipment, socioeconomic studies, and administrative services) via contracts. The majority of the Department's contract spending, nearly 75%, support the Job Corps Program. The bulk of Job Corps' expenditures are for the operations of 125 Job Corps Centers. The Job Corps Program requires a variety of products and services that include construction, technical training and support, recruitment and placement, information technology and other support services.


9. What is the best way to market to the federal government?

Each federal agency, including DOL, has an Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization (OSDBU). The OSDBUs promote the utilization of small businesses and are small businesses' advocates within their respective agencies. Each OSDBU office can instruct you on the best way to market to its agency. Most OSDBUs have established Web sites.

In the Department of Labor we have organized quarterly Vendor Outreach Sessions (VOS), which provide an opportunity for small businesses to market with agency representatives face-to-face. At the Department of Labor, we also publish Agency Small Business Contacts and Agency Information Technology Contacts However, the Vendor Outreach Sessions provide the best opportunity to meet with agency representatives.

Small businesses are advised to advertise their attributes and capabilities on the Small Business Administration's Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization (OSDBU) Pro-Net, an automated database of small businesses accessible via the Internet.

Small businesses seeking opportunities with the federal government should also examine FedBizOpps for contract advertisement, award information and notices of vendor outreach events.


10. Does the Federal government offer any help to start and grow a small business?

The Small Business Administration (SBA) provides financial and technical assistance to small businesses through its Regional Offices SBA maintains Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs) throughout the nation to administer various types of assistance. Members of SBA's sponsored Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE) often operate in concert with the SBDCs to provide added assistance. SBA also sponsors Womens' Business Centers to be of special assistance to women growing businesses.

The Department of Commerce also provides assistance to small businesses.


11. How can a small business learn of subcontracting opportunities at the Department of Labor?

Subcontracting opportunities are available in most of the Department of Labor's contracts with large business exceeding $650,000. The majority of subcontracting opportunities is with our Job Corps Center Operations contracts within the Department's Employment and Training Administration and are identified in the Employment and Training Administration section of the Procurement Forecast Additional information regarding Job Corps', and other contracts to large business, can be found in the Department's Procurement Forecast. Small businesses interested in subcontracting opportunities are encouraged to contact the large prime businesses currently under contract with the Department.

The Small Business Administration has established SUB-Net for prime contractors to use for posting subcontracting opportunities.


12. I am looking for Workplace Posters. Where can I find them?

You can find them at the Workplace Posters site. The Department of Labor has also designed the elaws Poster Advisor to help employers comply with the poster requirements of several laws administered by the Department of Labor (DOL). These laws require employers to display official DOL posters where employees can readily observe them. DOL provides the posters at no cost to employers.

The Poster Advisor only provides information about federal DOL poster requirements. You may want to contact your state Department of Labor to obtain information about your state's requirements.


13. What is the Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization?

The Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization (OSDBU) administer the Department of Labor's small business program in accordance with the Small Business Act. The OSDBU ensures that small businesses are extended maximum practicable opportunities to participate in the Department's contract awards; and reports on the Department's small business performance to the Small Business Administration. The OSDBU also serves as the Department's Ombudsman for small businesses under the Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act of 1996 (SBREFA).


14. What grant opportunities are available from the Department of Labor?

Department of Labor grant opportunities are identified by agency in the Department's Procurement Forecast, on the Employment and Training Administration's Web site, and in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance.