ODEP - Office of Disability Employment Policy
Society for Human Resource Management
ODEP and SHRM are committed to providing employers and others, including small businesses, with information guidance, and access to training resources that will help them recruit, hire, advance and retain talented workers with disabilities. The Alliance's goals include:
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Is the world's largest association devoted to human resource management.
- Provides comprehensive information to more than 285,000 HR professionals.
- Advances the human resource profession.
Training and Education
- Disseminate training and education materials to SHRM members as agreed to that address issues of member concern and advance recruitment and employment of job candidates with disabilities.
- Disseminate and share with SHRM members, as agreed to, effective disability employment practices of the Secretary of Labor's New Freedom Initiative Awardees and other employers.
Outreach and Communication
- Disseminate information through print and electronic media, including links from and between Web sites.
- To the extent that SHRM's practices, policies, objectives and conventions allow, disseminate information at conferences and events.
- To the extent that SHRM's practices, policies practices allow, collaborate on developing and conducting training and education sessions for various conferences.
- To the extent that SHRM's practices, policies, objectives allow, organize meetings and Webinars that address and promote strategies for recruitment, hiring, promotion, and retention of people with disabilities.
- Conduct activities to identify, document and disseminate effective employer policies and practices.
- Identify activities that demonstrate, evaluate or replicate model disability employment strategies for SHRM state, regional, and local chapters.
- Collaborate to identify disability employment issues of concern to employers to which the Alliance should direct particular attention and resources (e.g., JAN, EARN, WRP, etc.). As appropriate, this could include research, conducted independently by SHRM, which furthers the goals set forth in this agreement.
- ODEP will supply SHRM and the public in general with statistics on the employment of people with disabilities, and SHRM will disseminate the information as appropriate to SHRM members.
- SHRM will explore the possibility of conducting research on issues relevant to the employment of people with disabilities.
- Identify information on effective practices and approaches that members in specific industry sectors would find beneficial.
- Convene and participate in forums, information sharing discussions, focus groups, or stakeholder meetings on opportunities to help forge innovative employment solutions or to provide input on such issues.
- Encourage the implementation of effective disability employment practices and approaches through print or electronic media.
Activities and Events
- Keeping America Competitive: Addressing the Skills Gap in Manufacturing The Manufacturing Sector Summit: "Keeping America Competitive: Addressing the Skills Gap in Manufacturing" was held on June 24, 2012. The summit was presented by ODEP and DOL's Employment and Training Administration (ETA), under the leadership of Assistant Secretaries Kathy Martinez and Jane Oates. ODEP's Alliance partner, the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), was also a sponsor. The half-day event was convened prior to SHRM's 2012 Annual Conference and Exhibition in Atlanta, Georgia. A standing room only crowd of more than 270 participants in human resources at manufacturing companies nationwide attended to hear a diverse cross section of speakers from government, manufacturing, and HR address skills gap solutions such as recruiting and hiring candidates with disabilities, including returning veterans.