ODEP - Office of Disability Employment Policy
Disability Employment Policy Resources by Topic
Society for Human Resource Management Alliance I
(The first Alliance was signed on October 26, 2006. It expired on October 25 2008)
ODEP and SHRM are committed to providing employers and others, including small businesses, with information guidance, and access to training resources that will help them recruit, hire, advance and retain talented workers with disabilities. The Alliance's goals include:
Training and Education
- Disseminate training and education materials to SHRM members as agreed to that address issues of member concern and advance recruitment and employment of job candidates with disabilities.
- Disseminate and share with SHRM members, as agreed to, effective disability employment practices of the Secretary of Labor's New Freedom Initiative Awardees and other employers.
Outreach and Communication
- Disseminate information through print and electronic media, including links from and between Web sites.
- To the extent that SHRM's practices, policies, objectives and conventions allow, disseminate information at conferences and events.
- To the extent that SHRM's practices, policies practices allow, collaborate on developing and conducting training and education sessions for various conferences.
- To the extent that SHRM's practices, policies, objectives allow, organize meetings and Webinars that address and promote strategies for recruitment, hiring, promotion, and retention of people with disabilities.
Former ODEP Assistant Secretary W. Roy Grizzard and SHRM President Susan R. Meisinger, SPHR, celebrate signing the alliance agreement. (DOL photo/Shawn T. Moore)
- Conduct activities to identify, document and disseminate effective employer policies and practices.
- Identify activities that demonstrate, evaluate or replicate model disability employment strategies for SHRM state, regional, and local chapters.
- Collaborate to identify disability employment issues of concern to employers to which the Alliance should direct particular attention and resources (e.g., JAN, EARN, WRP, etc.). As appropriate, this could include research, conducted independently by SHRM, which furthers the goals set forth in this agreement.
- ODEP will supply SHRM and the public in general with statistics on the employment of people with disabilities, and SHRM will disseminate the information as appropriate to SHRM members.
- SHRM will explore the possibility of conducting research on issues relevant to the employment of people with disabilities.
- Identify information on effective practices and approaches that members in specific industry sectors would find beneficial.
- Convene and participate in forums, information sharing discussions, focus groups, or stakeholder meetings on opportunities to help forge innovative employment solutions or to provide input on such issues.
- Encourage the implementation of effective disability employment practices and approaches through print or electronic media.
- Universal Design An article which helps human resource professionals understand how universal design and universal strategies assist a company to attract and keep a diverse workforce and customer base.
- Customized Employment: A New Competitive Edge An article which helps human resource professionals understand the value of Customized Employment
- Agreement signed October 26, 2006
Activities and Events
- October 26, 2006: Co-sponsored and participated in the 2nd Circle of Champions Meeting.