The nation now has two decades of experience with the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). That experience — including both employer workplace practices and employee leave taking patterns — was described by earlier surveys of worksites and employees conducted by the Department of Labor in 1995 and in 2000. In 2012, Abt Associates conducted a third pair of surveys for the Department of Labor.
Study Reports are as follows:
- FMLA in 2012 Executive Summary (PDF)
- FMLA in 2012 Technical Report (PDF)
- FMLA Detailed Results Appendix (PDF)
- FMLA 2012 Methodology Report (PDF)
- FMLA 2012 Methodology Report Appendices (PDF)
A public-use file of data from the surveys is also available:
- Family and Medical Leave in 2012: Public Use File — For Employers (Zip)*
- Family and Medical Leave in 2012: Public Use File — For Employees (Zip)*
- FMLA 2012 Rev Public Use File Documentation (PDF)
- TA Materials for FMLA Revised PUF (PDF)
*Note: Please note that the Zip files are packaged SAS files that will not open without the appropriate statistical software.
- For additional information on the Survey, including a one page fact sheet and previous surveys, visit the Wage and Hour Division's FMLA Survey Webpage
- General Information on the FMLA is available on the Wage and Hour Division's FMLA Webpage