The Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Affairs (OCIA) serves to advance the Secretary’s mission promoting the Department of Labor to policymakers both in Washington and throughout state and local governments. OCIA assists the Secretary, Deputy Secretary, agency heads, and departmental staff to develop effective programs and strategies to achieve the Department's legislative goals and objectives. OCIA also coordinates with Departmental leadership to educate policymakers about the Department's programs and federal labor issues.
OCIA is the Department's liaison to Congress and other governmental entities. In this capacity OCIA’s main responsibility is communicating the Department’s priorities and policies. This effort is accomplished by:
Congressional and Intergovernmental Communications
OCIA coordinates all Department matters related to Congress as well as state and local officials:
- Review pending and proposed legislation and its impact on the Department
- Schedule and coordinate Congressional hearings and briefings
- Prepare senior-level staff for briefings and hearings before Congress
- Develop and implement the Department’s legislative agenda, which includes legislative initiatives and proposals
- Coordinate the Department’s response to technical assistance requests
- Respond to Congressional requests for information
- Monitor all Department-related legislative actions
Tribal Engagement and Consultation
OCIA coordinates all Department engagements with Tribal Nations:
- Read the DOL Plan of Action to Implement President Biden’s Memorandum on Tribal Consultation and Strengthening Nation-to-Nation Relationships (PDF)
- Read the current DOL Tribal Consultation Policy
Please direct all inquiries related to Tribal Consultation to TribalConsultation@dol.gov
Grant award notifications are sent to Members of Congress who have a successful applicant in their district:
- Provide Congressional notification of all grants awarded by the Department
- Respond to Congressional inquiries regarding grant award solicitations
- Provide information on the status of grant solicitations
OCIA provides assistance on any issue related to the Department:
- Assist congressional staff with a variety of constituent-related inquiries.
OCIA assists congressional staff with a variety of casework inquiries. OCIA can assist with almost any Department of Labor issue, and, if not, we will direct you to the most appropriate agency.
Please direct all casework inquiries and related documentation to OCIACongressionalNotification@dol.gov.
Assistant Secretary of Labor for
Congressional and Intergovernmental Affairs
U.S. Department of Labor
Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Affairs
200 Constitution Ave NW
Washington, DC 20210