ODEP - Office of Disability Employment Policy
Disability Employment Policy Resources by Topic
Despite being the nation’s major drivers of job growth, small businesses employ people with disabilities at a much lower rate than large businessesoften because they don’ t have the practical knowledge to ensure their workplace is inclusive and accessible.
To help address this issue, ODEP developed Small Business & Disability Employment: Steps to Success, a web-based toolkit that provides practical guidance for small businesses on how to recruit and retain qualified people with disabilities. It also describes approaches that business associationsincluding but not limited to local chambers of commerce and business leadership networkscan use to educate their members about the value disability diversity adds to their workplaces.
Offered as a service of the ODEP-funded Employer Assistance and Resource Network for Disability Inclusion (EARN), Steps to Success draws upon information gleaned from ODEP’s Add Us In initiative, a five-year grant program that funded eight consortia across the nation to identify and test innovative strategies for increasing employment opportunities for people with disabilities with small businesses, including those in historically disadvantaged communities.
Steps to Success uses real-life examples from small businesses across the nation to illustrate a range of exemplary disability inclusion practices, ranging from internships and mentorships to accommodations and accessibility.
Additional resources of interest to small businesses include the following:
- Small Business Disability Inclusion Fact Sheet (PDF) Informational resources for small businesses on accessibility, accommodations, community resources, legal issues, recruitment and shared best practices.
- Start with JAN: Resources for Small Business (PDF) A fact sheet with resources for small businesses from the Job Accommodation Network (JAN).
- Opening the Doors of Small Business to People with Disabilities: Critical Concerns and Strategies for Success (PDF) A research report summarizing the different strategies that small businesses may use to achieve success in recruiting and retaining people with disabilities.
- Small Business Profiles In collaboration with its Alliance partner the U.S. Business Leadership Network (USBLN), ODEP has developed a number of profiles exploring the disability inclusion efforts of individual small businesses.
- Avery Hall Insurance Company
- Thomas Hooker Brewing Company
- Volk Packaging Corporation
- 1st Bank, Division of Glacier Bank
- Dover Downs Hotel & Casino
- Tax Benefits for Businesses Who Have Employees with Disabilities Businesses that have employees with disabilities may qualify for several different tax credits or deductions. This IRS publication has information about the Barrier Removal Tax Deduction, the Work Opportunity Tax Credit, and other tax benefits.
- ADA Update: A Primer for Small Businesses This publication provides general guidance to help business owners understand how to comply with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and its design standards for accessible buildings.
Small businesses may also want to check out the resources on ODEP’s Employers page.