Employment and Living with HIV/AIDS
Employment is an essential part of leading an independent, self-directed life for all people, including people living with HIV/AIDS. Reflecting this, DOL is one of six Federal agencies responsible for implementing the National HIV/AIDS Strategy for the United States.
ODEP is one of several DOL agencies participating in carrying out DOL's role under the strategy, with a focus on improving employment opportunities and outcomes and reducing stigma and discrimination for people living with HIV/AIDS. As part of this, in 2011 ODEP convened the first-ever HIV/AIDS Employment Roundtable, which gathered thought leaders from across the nation to specifically explore the intersection issues of HIV/AIDS, disability, and employment.
Based on the information gleaned at that conference and subsequent research and collaboration, ODEP developed a suite of Employment and Living with HIV/AIDS resources to assist individuals, employers, and service providers understand related issues.
Getting to Work: An Online Training Curriculum for HIV/AIDS Service Providers and Housing Providers
Getting to Work: An Online Training Curriculum for HIV/AIDS Service Providers and Housing Providers is an interactive multi-media curriculum, developed collaboratively by the U.S. Department of Labor and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, that assists HIV/AIDS service providers, including housing providers, to understand how employment can add value for individuals, families, and communities. It provides proven strategies that service providers can implement to incorporate employment into their approach and create new opportunities for the populations they serve.
Employment and Living with HIV/AIDS Resources
- A Resource Guide for Individuals Living with HIV/AIDS Seeking to Enter or Reenter the Workforce (PDF)
- HIV/AIDS Employment Toolkit for Individuals, Employers and Service Providers
- Success Stories Individual, Employer and HIV/AIDS Service Provider Examples
- The Business Case for Employing Qualified Individuals with HIV/AIDS (PDF)
- HIV/AIDS Service Providers with Employment/Training Services (PDF)
- Working with HIV/AIDS Information from HIV.gov about the importance of work for people living with HIV/AIDS.
- What You Should Know about HIV/AIDS & Employment Discrimination Information about the rights of employees with HIV/AIDS under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
In addition, the Job Accommodation Network (JAN) a free service of ODEP, provides information on job accommodations, as well as other resources, for people living with HIV/AIDS.
Additional HIV/AIDS Resources
- National HIV/AIDS Strategy for the United States (PDF) Introduction and access to comprehensive National HIV/AIDS Strategy.
- HIV.gov Federal Government's central source for information about HIV/AIDS policies, programs, and resources.
In the News
- Resources for People With HIV Considering Employment TheBody.com October 28, 2014
- ODEP Signs Alliance with National Working Positive Coalition
- HUD and Department of Labor Launch Training Curriculum for HIV/AIDS Housing and Service Providers The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Office of HIV/AIDS Housing and ODEP developed this training curriculum for HIV/AIDS housing and service providers focused on employment services.