ODEP - Office of Disability Employment Policy
Disability Employment Policy Resources by Topic
Employment and Living with HIV/AIDS
Employment is an essential part of leading an independent, self-directed life for all people, including people living with HIV/AIDS. Reflecting this, DOL is one of six federal agencies responsible for implementing the National HIV/AIDS Strategy for the United States released by President Obama in 2010.
ODEP is one of several DOL agencies participating in carrying out DOL's role under the strategy, with a focus on improving employment opportunities and outcomes and reducing stigma and discrimination for people living with HIV/AIDS. As part of this, in 2011 ODEP convened the first-ever HIV/AIDS Employment Roundtable, which gathered thought leaders from across the nation to specifically explore the intersection issues of HIV/AIDS, disability and employment.
Based on the information gleaned at that conference and subsequent research and collaboration, ODEP developed a suite of Employment and Living with HIV/AIDS resources to assist individuals, employers and service providers understand related issues.
Getting to Work: An Online Training Curriculum for HIV/AIDS Service Providers and Housing Providers
Getting to Work: An Online Training Curriculum for HIV/AIDS Service Providers and Housing Providers is an interactive multi-media curriculum, developed collaboratively by the U.S. Department of Labor and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, that assists HIV/AIDS service providers, including housing providers, to understand how employment can add value for individuals, families and communities. It provides proven strategies that service providers can implement to incorporate employment into their approach and create new opportunities for the populations they serve.
Employment and Living with HIV/AIDS resources
- A Resource Guide for Individuals Seeking to Enter or Reenter the Workforce (PDF)
- HIV/AIDS Employment Toolkit for Individuals, Employers and Service Providers
- Success Stories Individual, Employer and HIV/AIDS Service Provider examples
- The Business Case for Employing Qualified Individuals with HIV/AIDS (PDF)
- HIV/AIDS Service Providers with Employment/Training Services (PDF)
In addition, the Job Accommodation Network (JAN), a free service of ODEP, provides information on job accommodations, as well as other resources, for people living with HIV/AIDS.
Institute on HIV/AIDS and Employment materials July 28, 2012
An Affiliated Independent Event of the XIX International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2012)
- Institute on HIV/AIDS and Employment Event Report (PDF)
- Institute on HIV/AIDS and Employment Agenda (PDF)
- Research References Related to Employment and HIV/AIDS (PDF)
HIV/AIDS Employment Roundtable materials April 8, 2011
- HIV/AIDS Employment Roundtable Proceedings Report (PDF)
- HIV/AIDS Employment Roundtable Video
- HIV/AIDS Employment Roundtable Slideshow
- DOL Newsletter article on HIV/AIDS Roundtable
Additional HIV/AIDS resources
- National HIV/AIDS Strategy for the United States Introduction and access to comprehensive National HIV/AIDS Strategy.
- Presidential Memorandum Memorandum to the heads of federal agencies and departments regarding the implementation of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy.
- Office of National AIDS Policy (ONAP) White House office responsible for overseeing implementation of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy across the Federal government.
- AIDS.gov Federal government's central source for information about HIV/AIDS policies, programs and resources.
In the News
- Resources for People With HIV Considering Employment TheBody.com October 28, 2014
- Positive Work DOL Blog December 1, 2013
- ODEP Signs Alliance with National Working Positive Coalition DOL Newsletter June 21, 2013
- People with HIV and AIDS: Living and Working Longer HR Magazine June 2012
- Raising A-wear-ness Employee Benefits News December 1, 2011
- Institute on HIV/AIDS and Employment July 28, 2012