Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS)
The Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act of 1959, as amended (LMRDA)
Synopsis of Law
The Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act of 1959, as amended (LMRDA), grants certain rights to union members and protects their interests by promoting democratic procedures within labor organizations. The LMRDA establishes:
- a Bill of Rights for union members;
- reporting requirements for labor organizations, union officers and employees, employers, labor-relations consultants, and surety companies;
- standards for the regular election of union officers; and
- safeguards for protecting labor organization funds and assets.
The Secretary of Labor enforces certain provisions of the LMRDA and has delegated that authority to the Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS) of the Department of Labor. Other provisions may only be enforced by union members through a private suit in a Federal district court.
Compliance Assistance Materials
- LMRDA Compliance — A Guide for New Union Officers (PDF)
- Fact Sheet on the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (PDF)
- Hoja informativa: Ley de Notificación y Divulgación Obrero-Patronal (PDF)
- Fact Sheet on the Office of Labor-Management Standards (PDF)
- * LMRDA Overview PowerPoint Presentation (PowerPoint Show format - 261 KB)
- *La Ley de Notificación y Divulgación Obrero-Patronal (PowerPoint Show format - 142 KB)
- Union Member Rights and Officer Responsibilities Under the LMRDA (PDF)
- Derechos de los Miembros de la Union y Responsabilidades de los Funcionarios en Virtud de la LMRDA (PDF)
- Rights and Responsibilities Under the LMRDA and CSRA (PDF)
- Union Members: Know Your Rights (Poster) PDF
- Miembros de Uniones: Conozcan sus Derechos (Cartel) PDF
Reporting & Disclosure
- Reports Required Under the LMRDA and the CSRA (PDF)
- Public Disclosure Under the LMRDA (PDF)
- LMRDA Recordkeeping Requirements for Unions (PDF)
- Hoja informativa: Requisitos que impone la LMRDA para el mantenimiento de registros por parte de los sindicatos (PDF)
- * Financial Recordkeeping PowerPoint Presentation (PowerPoint Show format - 168 KB)
- * Estados y Reportes Financieros (PowerPoint Show format - 172 KB)
- Form LM-2 Powerpoint Presentations
- * Form LM-4 Powerpoint Presentation (PowerPoint Show format - 498 KB)
- * Filing Form LM-10: An Overview of Reporting By Employers PowerPoint Presentation (PowerPoint Show format - 1.87 MB)
- Formulario Electrónico LM-4 (PowerPoint Show format - 624 KB)
- Filing Form LM-30 - An Overview of Union Officer and Employee Reporting (PDF)
- * Form LM-30 PowerPoint Presentation (PowerPoint Show format - 1 MB)
- * OLMS Public Disclosure Website Demonstration (PowerPoint Show format - 1MB)
- Conducting Local Union Officer Elections — A Guide for Election Officials (PDF)
- Realización de elecciones para funcionarios de sindicatos locales — Guía para oficiales electorales (PDF)
- Electing Local Union Officers by Mail (PDF)
- Union Officer Elections — A Complainant's Guide (PDF)
- Elecciones de autoridades sindicales - Guía para la presentación de quejas (PDF)
- Updating Your Union's Membership Mailing List (PDF)
- Electing Union Officers (PDF)
- Checklist for Conducting Local Union Officer Elections (PDF)
- Observer Rights and Responsibilities in Elections of Union Officers (PDF)
- * Union Officer Elections PowerPoint Presentation (PowerPoint Show format - 404 KB)
- * Elecciones de Funcionarios Sindicales (PowerPoint Show format - 383 KB)
- LMRDA Election Investigation Profile (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Union Officer Elections
- Conducting Audits in Small Unions — A Guide for Trustees (PDF)
- Bonding Requirements Under the LMRDA and the CSRA
- Bonding Computation Worksheet
- Compliance Tip — Internal Financial Controls (PDF)
- Controles Financieros Internos (PDF)
- Compliance Tip: Bonding Requirements
- Fact Sheet on Deprivation of Rights of Union Members Under the LMRDA by Violence (PDF)
- Fact Sheet on Extortionate Picketing (PDF)
- Prohibition Against Certain Persons Holding Union Office or Employment (PDF)
OLMS has an active education and compliance assistance program to promote voluntary compliance with the LMRDA by informing union officers and others affected by the law of their responsibilities and by encouraging members to exercise their rights under the LMRDA.
Compliance Assistance Seminars
OLMS District Offices throughout the country offer compliance assistance seminars to explain the requirements of the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA). These seminars cover topics such as union reporting and recordkeeping, financial safeguards for union funds, elections of union officers, and training for union trustees on conducting audits in small unions. Some of these seminars are sponsored by labor unions, labor education programs, or other groups to provide training for their representatives while other seminars are solely OLMS sponsored and may be attended by any interested union officers and members. If your organization would like to sponsor a seminar with OLMS, contact the nearest OLMS District Office.
Questions & Answers
- What is the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA)?
- Who enforces the LMRDA?
- What are the standards of conduct provisions of the Civil Service Reform Act (CSRA)?
- I belong to a union that is comprised solely of state employees. Does the LMRDA or CSRA cover my union?
- What rights are guaranteed to me as a union member under the Bill of Rights for members of labor organizations?
We Want to Know What You Think
Do you have comments or suggestions about the material offered here? Please take the DOL Customer Survey (via the link at the bottom of this page), or email OLMS directly at email@example.com with any comments, suggestions, or concerns.
Last Updated: 05/04/11