Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
Service Contract Act Directory of Occupations
29083 Engineering Technician III
Performs assignments that are not completely standardized or prescribed. Selects or adapts standard procedures or equipment, using fully applicable precedents. Receives initial instructions, equipment requirements, and advice from supervisor or engineer as needed; performs recurring work independently; work is reviewed for technical adequacy or conformity with instructions. Performs at this level one or a combination of such typical duties as:
- Constructs components, subunits, or simple models or adapts standard equipment. May troubleshoot and correct malfunctions.
- Follows specific layout and scientific diagrams to construct and package simple devices and subunits of equipment.
- Conducts various tests or experiments which may require minor modifications in test setups or procedures as well as subjective judgments in measurement; selects, sets up, and operates standard test equipment and records test data.
- Extracts and compiles a variety of engineering data from field notes, manuals, lab reports, etc.; processes data, identifying errors or inconsistencies; selects methods of data presentation.
- Assists in design modification by compiling data related to design, specifications, and materials which are pertinent to specific items of equipment or component parts. Develops information concerning previous operational failures and modifications. Uses judgment and initiative to recognize inconsistencies or gaps in data and seek sources to clarify information.