Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
Service Contract Act Directory of Occupations
29063 Drafter III
Prepares complete sets of complex drawings which include multiple views, detail drawings, and assembly drawings. Drawings include complex design features that require considerable drafting skill to visualize and portray. Assignments regularly require the use of mathematical formulas to draw land contours or to compute weights, center of gravity. load capacities, dimensions, quantities of material, etc. Works from sketches, models, and verbal information supplied by an engineer, architect, or designer to determine the most appropriate views, detail drawings, and supplementary information needed to complete assignments. Selects required information from precedents, manufacturers' catalogs, and technical guides. Independently resolves most of the problems encountered. Supervisor or design originator may suggest methods of approach or provide advice on unusually difficult problems. Typical assignments include:
- From layouts or sketches, prepares complete sets of drawings of test equipment to be manufactured. Several cross-sectional and subassembly drawings are required. From information supplied by the design originator and from technical handbooks and manuals, describes dimensions, tolerances, fits, fabrication techniques, and standard parts to use in manufacturing the equipment.
- From electronic schematics, information as to maximum size, and manuals giving dimensions of standard parts, determines the arrangement and prepares drawing of printed circuit boards.
- From precedents, drafting standards, and established practices, prepares final construction drawings for floodgates, navigation locks, dams, bridges, culverts, levees, channel excavations, dikes and berms; prepares boring profiles, typical cross-sections, and land profiles; and delineates related topographical details as required.
- Prepares final drawings for street paving and widening or for water and sewer lines having complex trunk lines; reduces field notes and calculates true grades. From engineering designs, lays out plan, profile and detail appurtenances required; and notifies supervisor of conflicting details in design.
- Excludes drafter performing work of similar difficulty to that described at this level but who provide support for a variety of organizations which have widely differing functions or requirements.