Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
Request for Information on the Family and Medical Leave Act
Welcome to the Wage and Hour Division’s (WHD) Website for public comments on the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
WHD recently published a Request for Information in the Federal Register and invited interested parties having knowledge of or experience with the FMLA to submit information. The Department welcomed any pertinent information that will provide a basis for ascertaining the effectiveness of the current implementing regulations and the Department’s administration of the Act.
The public comment period closed on February 16, 2007, and a Report summarizing the comments was published on June 28, 2007.
The full record of the comments is available for public inspection in Washington, DC. To schedule an appointment to review comments, call (202) 693-0677.
To review selected submitted comments follow this link: www.regulations.gov and complete the following steps on the initial screen;
- Step 1. Select “All Documents (Open and Closed for Comment)”;
- Step 2. Select “Employment Standards Administration” from the drop-down list of choices;
- Step 3. Select “Proposed Rules” from the drop-down list of choices
- Step 4. Select “Document ID” from the drop-down list of choices, enter “ESA-2006-0022” in the “Key Word Field, and select “Submit;”
On the next screen select either option in the “Docket ID” column to go to the posted submissions, and select one of the “Views” icons to review a particular comment.
The information below may be of interest to those viewing the comments:
- Press Release
- Federal Register Notice - FMLA Request for Information
- Report on the Request for Information Website
- The 1995 Commission on Leave Report to Congress, “A Workable Balance”
- The 2000 survey report, "Balancing the Needs of Families and Employers."
- 2000 Westat Establishment Survey (Zip archive containing codebook and data files) FMLA_EST.zip
- 2000 Westat Employee Survey (Zip archive containing codebook and data files) FMLA_EMP.zip
- Compliance Assistance Information from the Wage and Hour Division
- The Family and Medical Leave Act