EEOICPA BULLETIN NO.03-05
Subject: Subcontractor Code
Background: DEEOIC cases in which the employee worked for one or multiple subcontractors present unique employment issues for the Claims Examiner (CE) during the adjudication process. In order to flag a DOE case as one in which the claimant has indicated that s/he worked for a subcontractor at a DOE facility, a new code (S) has been added to the DOE Y/N list box in Energy Case Management System (ECMS) Employment Classifications Field, Case Screen.
Reference: ECMS v.220.127.116.11 Release Notes, dated
To address when and how subcontractor information will be captured in
Applicability: All staff.
1. When the EE-1 or EE-2 claim is received in the DO and the claimant has checked either Box 10 (on the EE-1) or Box 16 (on the EE-2) to indicate that employment was through a DOE facility, the Case Create Clerk (CCC) selects Y from the DOE list box (Employment Classifications Field, Case Screen).
2. If the EE-3 form (Employment History for Claim) or another type of employment documentation (e.g. affidavit) shows that the employee worked for a private employer at a DOE facility (e.g. Joe’s Electric Company at Hanford), and the CE determines that there is a reasonable link between the employer (a subcontractor) and a DOE facility, the CE flags the case as one in which a subcontractor has been identified. To do this, the CE selects S from the DOE list box in the Employment Classifications Field, Case Screen. The S code permanently replaces the Y code.
S A subcontractor at a DOE facility has been identified
3. After entering the S code, the CE continues to develop the employment aspect of the claim in order to ascertain whether employment can be verified with a DOE subcontractor.
4. If the CE determines that the employee did not work for a verified subcontractor at a DOE facility, the S code remains in the DOE list box (Employment Classifications Field, Case Screen). It is not necessary that employment with a subcontractor at a DOE facility be confirmed in order for the S code to be used.
5. The CE only enters the S code once regardless of whether the employee worked for one or multiple DOE subcontractors.
7. The National Office (NO) will not do backfill on cases where a subcontractor has been identified. The District Office, at its own discretion, may do backfill. File documentation must exist to confirm the proper use of the S code.
Disposition: Retain until incorporated in the Federal (EEOICPA) Procedure Manual
PETER M. TURCIC
Director, Division of Energy Employees Occupational
Distribution List No. 1: (Claims Examiners, Supervisory Claims Examiners, Technical Assistants, Customer Service Representatives, Fiscal Officers, FAB District Managers, Operation Chiefs, Hearing Representatives, District Office Mail & File Sections.)