Division of Federal Employees' Compensation (DFEC)
Information on FECA benefits and Furlough
Q. How does an administrative furlough affect the compensation of an employee who is receiving FECA benefits and is under medical orders to work part-time?
- When an employee is already out on total or partial wage loss benefits, FECA compensation continues at the usual rate.
- Claims for FECA compensation benefits submitted as a result of missing a partial day due to a furlough are not payable under the FECA.
Q. How does an administrative furlough impact the compensation of an employee who is receiving FECA benefits and is required to work a modified light duty schedule?
- FECA compensation benefits are not payable for work days lost as a result of administrative furlough.
Q. How does a furlough affect Continuation of Pay (COP)?
- If an employee sustains a traumatic injury and is receiving COP before furlough days have been scheduled, COP should continue. However, if an employee sustains a traumatic injury and has already been scheduled for one or more furlough days, then there would be no COP entitlement for any day that the employee was not scheduled to work due to an administrative furlough.
Q. Are schedule awards or medical benefits affected by an administrative furlough?
- No. Schedule award and medical benefits continue regardless.
For information concerning the fact that an employee who is currently receiving FECA workers’ compensation payments will continue to receive workers’ compensation payments during a furlough, and for information concerning injuries which occur while on furlough or leave without pay, please click HERE.
December 27, 2018