Please note: As of January 20, 2017, information in some news releases may be out of date or not reflect current policies.
VETS News Release: [09/29/2011]
Contact Name: Michael Volpe or David Roberts
Phone Number: (202) 693-3984 or x5945
Release Number: 11-1370-NAT
US Labor Department announces appointment of 15 members to Advisory Committee on Veterans Employment, Training and Employer Outreach
WASHINGTON The U.S. Department of Labor today announced the appointment of 15 members to the Advisory Committee on Veterans Employment, Training and Employer Outreach, with its first meeting held today in Washington.
Members of the committee serve two-year appointments. As a group, they have leadership backgrounds in business, academia, human resources, unions, consulting, the military and nonprofit organizations. By Dec. 31 of each year, the committee must provide Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis with an assessment of the employment and training needs of veterans and their integration into the workforce, as well as outreach efforts necessary to help employers hire veterans.
The members are:
- Linda Bilmes professor at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
- Paul W. Bucha Medal of Honor recipient, representing the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
- Charles Garcia CEO of Garcia Trujillo, Miami, Fla.
- Dawn Halfaker CEO of Halfaker & Associates, representing the Wounded Warrior Project, Washington, D.C.
- J. Michael Haynie founder and national executive director of the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans and professor at Syracuse University's Whitman School of Management, representing the National Federation of Independent Business, Syracuse, N.Y.
- Henry G. Jackson president and CEO of the Society for Human Resource Management, Alexandria, Va.
- Richard M. Jones senior vice president and general tax counsel for CBS Corp., representing the American Legion, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Gary K. Kai executive director of the Hawaii Business Roundtable, representing the Business Roundtable, Washington, D.C.
- Kelly Chapman Meyer philanthropist and founder of the Teaching Garden, Malibu, Calif.
- Darrell L. Roberts executive director of Helmets to Hardhats and the Center for Military Recruitment, Assessment and Veterans Employment, Washington, D.C.
- Kevin Schmiegel vice president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Washington, D.C.
- Bob Simoneau deputy executive director of the National Association of State Workforce Agencies, Washington, D.C.
- Robert E. Wallace executive director of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Washington, D.C.
- Joan Wodiska director of the National Governors Association's Education, Early Childhood and Workforce Committee, Washington, D.C.