Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS)
Form LM-10 Employer and Form LM-20 Consultant Persuader Reporting under the LMRDA
Notice: The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas issued a nationwide permanent injunction against the persuader rule on November 16, 2016. - PDF
- LMRDA Section 203 and Implementing Regulations (29 CFR Parts 405 and 406)
- Persuader Reporting Orientation Program (PROP)
- Online Public Disclosure Room
- Persuader Fact sheet and Other Guidance
- How to File a Complaint with OLMS
- Labor Organization Reporting and Disclosure Requirements
- Contact OLMS for Additional Assistance
The Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA) establishes reporting and recordkeeping requirements for employers and labor relations consultants. The transparency created by these requirements is designed to better inform workers in making determinations regarding the exercise of their rights to organize and bargain collectively. With knowledge that the source of the information received is an anti-union campaign managed by an outsider, workers will be better able to assess the merits of the arguments directed at them and make an informed choice about how to exercise their rights.
Under LMRDA section 203(a), an employer must report, on Form LM-10, certain expenditures and activities, including certain specified financial dealings with unions and union officials and agents (see the Form LM-10 FAQ for further information), as well as any agreement or arrangement with a third party consultant, to persuade employees as to their collective bargaining rights or to obtain certain information concerning the activities of employees or a labor organization in connection with a labor dispute involving the employer. Under LMRDA section 203(b), a labor relations consultant, also, is required to report, on Form LM-20, concerning such an agreement or arrangement with an employer. This requirement is subject to an exemption in section 203(c) of the LMRDA, which states that no one is required to file a report covering the services of a consultant "by reason of his giving or agreeing to give advice" to the employer.
Every person required to file a Form LM-20 also must file an annual Form LM-21 Receipts and Disbursements Report, if any payments were made or received during the fiscal year as a result of arrangements of the kind requiring Form LM-20.
Revised Reporting Requirements
On March 24, 2016, the Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS) published a final rule that revises the interpretation of the "advice" exemption of section 203(c) of the LMRDA. This rule expands the reporting required under section 203. See the Persuader Final Rule page for further information. Notice: The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas issued a nationwide permanent injunction against the persuader rule on November 16, 2016. - PDF
- Form LM-20 -Due to the nationwide permanent injunction issued by the Northern District of Texas on November 16, 2016, the revised, 2016 Form LM-20 will not be applicable until further notice from the Department. Instead, consultants should continue to apply the pre-2016 Form LM-20 and instructions.
- Pre-2016 Form LM-20 / Pre-2016 Form LM-20 Instructions - PDF
- Consultant Form LM-21 Receipts and Disbursements Report and Instructions (Note: OLMS has issued a special enforcement policy covering certain sections of the Form LM-21.)
- The Form LM-21 cannot currently be submitted electronically. Please submit completed reports to the mailing address noted within the instructions.
- Form LM-10 - Due to the nationwide permanent injunction issued by the Northern District of Texas on November 16, 2016, the revised, 2016 Form LM-10 will not be applicable until further notice from the Department. Instead, employers should continue to apply the pre-2016 Form LM-10 and instructions.
- Pre-2016 Form LM-10 / Pre-2016 Form LM-10 Instructions- PDF
- Fact Sheet on Employer-Consultant Reporting
- Form LM-10 FAQs (which provide information concerning reportable payments to unions and union officials, pursuant to LMRDA section 203(a)(1))
- For assistance using the Electronic Forms System (EFS), contact the OLMS Help Desk at (866) 401-1109.
- Contact OLMS with questions regarding Forms LM-10 and LM-20 reporting requirements at (202) 693-0123.
- Contact information for all OLMS field offices is available at: www.dol.gov/olms/contacts/lmskeyp.htm.
- Email OLMS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subscribe to the OLMS mailing list for updates: www.dol.gov/olms/org/olms-mailinglist.htm.
Last Updated: 1-17-17