Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS)
Using Electronic Forms in Adobe- Reader- 6.x or Higher
For Use with Forms LM-1, LM-10, LM-20, LM-21, LM-30, LM-15, LM-15A, LM-16, and S-1
The U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS) is pleased to offer you the option of completing Forms LM-1, LM-10, LM-20, LM-21, LM-30, LM-15, LM-15A, LM-16, and S-1quickly and easily using your computer and Adobe- Reader- 6.x or Higher freeware. We think you will find this alternative easy and convenient to use.
Installing Adobe- Reader- 6.x or Higher
You can easily download Adobe- Reader- 6.x or Higher free of charge by following the instructions on the Adobe Web site. The installation process places an icon for starting the program on your desktop.
- Intel- Pentium- processor
- Microsoft- Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT- 4.0 with Service Pack 6, Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional or Home Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
- 32MB of RAM (64MB recommended)
- 60MB of available hard-disk space
- Internet Explorer 5.01, 5.5, 6.0, or 6.1
Completing the Form
Go to the OLMS Web site and download the forms. Be sure to save the forms to your hard drive before you start filling in the blanks. Then launch the software by double-clicking on the Adobe- Reader- icon on your desktop, and open the form from its saved location.
Important: Be sure to open the form in Adobe- Reader- 6.x or Higher. If you try to work on the form in version 5.x, the form will open, but you will not be able to complete it properly.
Filling in the Blanks
There are several ways to enter information on the electronic form:
- Using text or numbers
- Checking boxes
- Selecting from drop-down lists
The blanks are highlighted in yellow with green borders. You can fill in a blank in one of three ways:
- Blanks for numbers, addresses, dates, and most other text can be filled in by clicking on the blank and entering your information.
- Blanks that must be marked with an "X" can be checked only by placing the cursor over the blank (a hand icon will appear) and clicking once.
- Blanks with a down arrow require clicking on the arrow and making a selection from the drop-down list that appears.
You can move through the form by pressing the Tab key.
Important: As you complete your form, be sure to save your file often by using the "Save As" option and renaming your form.
Entering Financial Information
When entering numbers for financial information use whole dollars only. Do not try to enter cents, decimal points, commas, or dollar signs. Enter "0" if you have nothing to report.
Some blanks include the option of adding more information or schedules. To do this, click on the button for that item number. A dialog box will appear asking you to confirm that you want to create a new page. If you click "OK," a continuation page will display. When you have finished entering information, click on the "Previous View" arrow near the bottom of the page to return to the form.
Printing the Completed Form
Click on the "Print Report" button at the bottom center of page one to print a copy of the completed form.
Submitting the Form
- Print a full copy of the form and any continuation pages.
- Sign and date the form according to the instructions on each form. Original signatures are required on the paper form filed with OLMS. Stamped or mechanical signatures are not acceptable.
- Mail the original completed and signed form and any required attachments to:
U.S. Department of Labor
Employment Standards Administration
Office of Labor-Management Standards
200 Constitution Avenue, NW, Room N-1519
Washington, DC 20210
OLMS plans to support electronic filing using digital signatures in the near future.
Important: Be sure to check your form for errors before submission.
The persons required to file these forms must retain records that provide in sufficient detail the information and data necessary to verify the accuracy and completeness of the report for at least 5 years after the date the report is filed. Those persons must also retain any record necessary to verify, explain, or clarify the report including, but not limited to, vouchers, worksheets, receipts, and applicable resolutions.
If you have problems using the electronic form that you are unable to solve with the information in this User Guide, try these sources:
- Email questions to OLMSemail@example.com.
- Contact OLMS field offices at addresses and telephone numbers available on the OLMS Web site.
- Access the help function in the Adobe program by clicking on the "Help" tab near the top of the screen.
Last Updated: 02/16/06