Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP)
On July 21, 2014, President Obama signed an executive order extending workplace protections to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Americans in the federal contracting workforce.
Executive Order 11246 protects workers employed by or seeking jobs with federal contractors and subcontractors from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin. Through this action, President Obama amended EO 11246 to add protections for sexual orientation and gender identity. The Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs will be tasked with implementing this order.
Learn more about this executive action:
- Read the new Executive Order.
- Watch video of the signing ceremony (transcript).
- Get the Fact Sheet explaining why LGBT equality is good for business.
- Check out Secretary of Labor Tom Perez’s Blog on this action.
- See some of the social media responses on the White House Blog.
- Look at what national leaders are saying about the Executive Order.