ODEP - Office of Disability Employment Policy
Disability Employment Policy Resources by Topic
Diversity and Inclusion
By fostering a culture of diversity or a capacity to appreciate and value individual differences employers benefit from varied perspectives on how to confront business challenges and achieve success. The term refers to the infinite range of individuals' unique attributes and experiences such as ethnicity, gender, age, and disability. Since disability is a natural part of diversity, businesses can benefit by taking steps to ensure people with disabilities are represented in their workforce.
The following resources provide more information about disability and diversity and inclusion:
- Campaign for Disability Employment (CDE) ODEP-funded collaborative effort among several leading disability and business organizations to promote positive employment outcomes for people with disabilities by encouraging employers and others to recognize the value and talents they bring to the workplace and implement flexible and inclusive workplace practices. Toolkits are available for each of the CDE’s public service announcements:
- Building an Inclusive Workforce (PDF) A Four-Step Reference Guide to Recruiting, Hiring, & Retaining Employees with Disabilities.
- Diverse Perspectives: People with Disabilities Fulfilling Your Business Goals Information on the benefits of incorporating individuals with disabilities into diversity goals.
- Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion (EARN) ODEP-funded service that helps employers recruit, hire, advance and retain workers with disabilities. Includes a guide to disability inclusion in the workplace
- National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) The largest global not-for-profit advocacy organization dedicated to expanding the economic opportunities and advancements of the LGBT business community.
- Inclusive Internship Programs: A How-to Guide for Employers (PDF) A guide designed for public and private employers of all sizes to learn about the benefits and logistics of facilitating internship programs that attract all young adults, including those with disabilities.
- Fostering Inclusive Volunteering and Service Learning A guide that provides information useful to youth service professionals and others interested in facilitating youth engagement in volunteer activities. It describes how youth benefit from volunteering, different types of volunteer opportunities, and ways to assist youth to prepare for, access, and learn from their experiences. It also provides relevant resources and tools that can enhance and foster successful outcomes.
- Workforce Recruitment Program A recruitment and referral program that connects Federal and private sector employers nationwide with highly motivated college students and recent graduates with disabilities who are eager to prove their abilities in the workplace through summer or permanent jobs.
- Expressing a Commitment to Disability Inclusion Fact sheet from the Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion (EARN) provides examples of successful approaches large and small employers can use to create a welcoming environment for employees with disabilities.