ODEP - Office of Disability Employment Policy
Disability Employment Policy Resources by Topic
Diversity and Inclusion
By fostering a culture of diversity or a capacity to appreciate and value individual differences employers benefit from varied perspectives on how to confront business challenges and achieve success. Although the term is often used to refer to differences among individuals such as ethnicity, gender, age and religion, diversity actually encompasses the infinite range of individuals' unique attributes and experiences. Thus, disability is a natural part of diversity, and businesses can benefit by taking steps to ensure people with disabilities are represented in their workforce.
The following resources provide more information about disability and diversity and inclusion:
- Add Us In ODEP-sponsored initiative designed to identify and develop strategies to increase employment opportunities within the small business community for individuals with disabilities. Included are targeted businesses owned and operated by minorities; lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals; women and people with disabilities.
- Campaign for Disability Employment ODEP-funded collaborative effort among several leading disability and business organizations to encourage flexible and inclusive workplace practices that promote positive employment outcomes for people with disabilities.
- Building an Inclusive Workforce A Four-Step Reference Guide to Recruiting, Hiring, & Retaining Employees with Disabilities.
- Diverse Perspectives: People with Disabilities Fulfilling Your Business Goals Information on the benefits of incorporating individuals with disabilities into diversity goals.
- Employer Assistance and Resource Network (EARN) ODEP-funded service that helps employers hire and retain workers with disabilities.
- Leading Practices on Disability Inclusion Summarizes variety of initiatives implemented by corporations to increase disability inclusion, in both the workplace and marketplace.