ODEP - Office of Disability Employment Policy
Disability Employment Policy Resources by Topic
Communication is an essential part of participating in today's workforce. Reflecting this, ODEP is committed to improving communications access. Communications access means that people with sensory disabilities can communicate (and be communicated with) on an equal footing with those who do not have such disabilities.
The following resources provide more information about ODEP's efforts to increase communications access:
- Job Accommodation Network (JAN) ODEP funded service that provides free, expert and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations, including those for individuals who have communication challenges.
- Accommodation ideas for individuals who are deaf and hard of hearing
- Accommodation ideas for individuals with vision impairments
- Accommodation ides for individuals with speech-language impairments
JAN also offers information about available products and services for people with communication challenges.
- Product listing for individuals who are deaf and hard of hearing
- Product listing for individuals with vision impairments
- Computer/Electronic Accommodations Program (CAP) The federal government's centrally funded accommodation program. Provides assistive technology and services free of charge to federal agencies.
- Telephone Relay Systems: Enabling Telephone Access for Customers & Employees Fact sheet describing telephone relay service, which facilitates communication between those who have communication difficulties and those who do not.
- Laws covering communications access: