ODEP - Office of Disability Employment Policy
Disability Employment Policy Resources by Topic
Return-to-Work Toolkit: Using Accommodations to Retain or Return Employees to Work
While many workers experience injuries or health conditions that they believe prevent them from working, many can in fact return to work with a few simple modifications to their work environment, schedule or duties. For example, they may be able to work part time or from home, or with modifications to their job requirements and tasks. Employers should think creatively and work with employees to identify what they need to resume working quickly and productively. The resources below can help:
- The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is the leading source of free, expert and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations. It also provides assistance to employers in understanding their responsibilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other disability-related legislation. Contact JAN via phone at (800) 526-7234 or (877) 781-9403 (TTY) or online at AskJAN.org. Specific online resources include:
- For employers who may need assistance in understanding Accessible Technology (AT) options to assist employees with the return to work process, JAN also offers the following:
- List of State Assistive Technology Projects
- Technology Related Resources
- Universal Design and Assistive Technology in the Workplace
- Another resource for information about Accessible Technology is Accessible Tech, a project of the ADA National Network.
- ODEP also offers a range of resources to assist employers in learning about return-to-work issues. These include:
- For employers of employees with psychiatric disabilities and other mental health concerns, the following resources may also be of assistance:
- While many employers understand the impact that qualified workers have on their bottom line, they may not understand the low cost of accommodating employees, versus replacing them, following injury or illness. Workplace Accommodations: Low Cost, High Impact illustrates this through real-life situations and statistics.