How to Submit Supplemental Documentation
If supplemental documents (e.g., veteran's documentation, transcript, etc.) are required to complete your application, they will be identified in the vacancy announcement 'How to Apply' tab in the "Required Documents" section. If you are required to fax the documentation, it must be received by the vacancy close date.
There are four options you can use to submit your documentation:
Option 1: Allows you to upload documents from your computer.
Option 2: Allows you to download documents you stored on your USAJOBS account.
- To use this option, you must have first selected the documents on the USAJOBS page where you select your resume to attach to your DOL application.
- This is the only option that allows you to view the document status on your USAJOBS account - documents submitted via Options 1, 3 and 4 can only be viewed from your DOL account.
Option 3: Allows you to fax in hard copy documents.
Option 4: Allows you to reuse previously uploaded or downloaded USAJOBS documents. This option is NOT available for faxed documents and only available for DOL Vacancy Documents.
Important Note about DOCUMENTS that can be OVERWRITTEN:
If you submit a document using the same document title, the second submission will OVERWRITE the first submission.
Example: If you submit your undergraduate transcript using the “College Transcripts” document title and later on submit your graduate degree transcript using the same “College Transcripts” document title, only the graduate degree transcript would display in the system.
To avoid this problem, you can submit both your transcripts under the “College Transcripts” document title.
*This applies to all four methods of submitting documentation.
To submit documentation while applying:
- Once you have answered all the questions, the “Vacancy Documents” page will appear. Refer to the Vacancy Documents section below for the options to submit documents.
To submit documentation after applying:
- Go to www.usajobs.gov, click on 'My Account' and log in if you are not already logged in.
- On the 'My Account' homepage, click on 'Application status' at the bottom right.
- Find the announcement for which you need to submit documentation. Under the 'Application Status' column, click on 'more information…'.
- On the 'Application Detail' page, select 'You may review and update the documents if needed' link.
Vacancy Documents Page
You will be taken to the 'Vacancy Documents' page. This page shows you:
- The supplemental documents you can include in your Department of Labor (DOL) profile for submission with your application IF APPLICABLE TO YOU.
*Veterans will see 3 additional documents: DD-214, SF-15, and VA Letter.
- The additional documents you are requested to submit for this vacancy IF APPLICABLE TO YOU.
- On the 'Action' column, you have three options to submit your documents (i.e Upload, USAJOBS and Fax) for your DOL Profile Documents and DOL Vacancy Documents. The 'Reuse existing document' will appear if you have already submitted documents using the Upload or the USAJOBS download feature before and will only be available for DOL Vacancy Documents.
- Upload (Option 1):
- Click on 'Upload' in the action column to upload a document that you have saved on your computer.
- Enter a description for your document.
- Find the document saved on your computer by clicking on 'Browse'.
- Click 'Upload Document' to complete the process.
- Only these file types can be uploaded:
- gif image (.gif)
- jpeg image (.jpg)
- png image (.png)
- rich text format (.rtf)
- Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
- Adobe pdf (.pdf)
- Maximum size of a document that can be uploaded: 3MB
- Click on 'USAJOBS' in the action column to retrieve documents from your USAJOBS account
- Select the document requested from the drop down
- Click 'Download from USAJOBS' and 'Document uploaded successfully' message is displayed at the top of the Vacancy Documents page
- Click on the description to view the document uploaded
- Click 'Finish' to return to application status page
Note: On your USAJOBS Application Status page, one of these statuses below will display. Again, this is the only option that allows you to view the document status on your USAJOBS account – documents submitted via Options 1, 3 and 4 can only be viewed from your DOL account.
- None – if no documents have been uploaded.
- Uploaded Not Retrieved – if document is uploaded on USAJOBS but not submitted with application.
- Uploaded Retrieved – if document is uploaded on USAJOBS and submitted with application.
- Click on 'Fax' icon in the action column for the document you wish to print.
- Review the fax instructions by clicking 'Fax Instructions' link.
- Click on 'Generate Cover Sheet' button.
- A new window will open for fax cover sheet, go to File and Print the coversheet.
- Close out of this window and click cancel.
- Fax the documents and you will receive a fax received confirmation. This confirms that your document(s) has been faxed successfully. In addition, you will receive a fax confirmation e-mail. Confirmation will NOT be reflected under the ‘USAJOBS Uploaded Document Status’ column, as that is for USAJOBS Account documents only.
- Reuse existing document (only available for upload and USAJOBS download) – (Option 4):
- Click on the 'Reuse Existing document.'
- Choose the document you have used before from the drop down.
- It will have the vacancy number and document description on the drop down.
- Click 'Select Document' and it will take you back to the document select page. You can also preview the document by clicking on 'View Document.' This confirms that your document(s) has been uploaded successfully. Confirmation will NOT reflect under the ‘USAJOBS Uploaded Document Status’ column, as that is for USAJOBS Account documents only.
- Click 'Finish.'
To check document submission status (applies to all 4 Options):
- Confirm that your documents were submitted by viewing the Description column. If the column shows “No document submitted”, the document has not successfully posted.