The Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) are programs designed to afford selection priority to well-qualified Federal employees who meet the definition of a “surplus” or “displaced” employee.
To be eligible for consideration under CTAP, you must be a current DOL employee who has received an official notice stating that your position is no longer needed, or that you will be separated by reduction in force (RIF).
To be eligible for consideration under ICTAP, you must be one of the following:
- a current Federal competitive service employee has received a specific RIF notice or a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function from your employing agency;
- a former Federal competitive service employee who was separated through RIF or removed for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function;
- a former Federal competitive service employee who was separated because of a compensable injury or illness, whose compensation has been terminated, and whose former agency is unable to place;
- a former Federal competitive service employee who retired due to disability and whose disability annuity has been or is being terminated;
- a former Federal competitive service employee who received a RIF notice and retired on the RIF separation date or under the discontinued service retirement option; or
- a former Military Reserve or National Guard Technician who is receiving a special disability retirement annuity from the Office of Personnel Management.
Required Documentation. Current or former Federal employees claiming CTAP or ICTAP eligibility must submit all of the following documents as proof that they meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330.605(a) for CTAP and 5 CFR 330.704 for ICTAP.
- An SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, or other official documentation, which shows that you were declared displaced or surplus while serving as a career or career conditional competitive service employee, in tenure group 1 or 2, OR are a current or former Executive Branch agency employee in the excepted service serving on an appointment without time limit, at grade levels GS-15 or equivalent and below, and who has been conferred noncompetitive appointment eligibility and special selection priority by statute for positions in the competitive service;
- An SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, or other official documentation which shows the position you may be or are being separated from has the same or higher promotion potential as that of the vacancy;
- CTAP eligibles: a copy of your Reduction in Force (RIF) separation notice; a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function outside the local commuting area; a Certificate of Expected Separation; your agency's certification that you are in a surplus organization or occupation (this could be a position abolishment letter, a notice of eligibility for discontinued service retirement, or similar notice).
- ICTAP eligibles: a copy of your RIF separation notice, a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function outside the local commuting area; an OPM notice that your disability annuity has been (or will be) terminated; certification from your former agency that it cannot place you after your recovery from a compensable injury; or certification from the National Guard Bureau or Military Department that you are eligible for a disability retirement and will receive the special OPM annuity.
- A copy of a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or equivalent (not required if you are an ICTAP eligible due to compensable injury or disability retirement).
Download a copy of The Employee's Guide to Career Transition [PDF].