- Estimated 3 Year Improper Payment Rate : 16.497%
- 2016 Improper Payments Estimate : #250,681,497
UI improper payment data displayed on this page are derived from the Benefit Accuracy Measurement (BAM) program. Readers are strongly cautioned that it may be misleading to compare one state's payment accuracy rates with another state's rates as no two states' written laws, regulations, and policies specifying eligibility conditions are identical, and differences in these conditions influence the potential for error. To compare state laws visit https://oui.doleta.gov/unemploy/ or contact the state directly.
States Getting to Success!
Root Causes of Overpayments
Percentage of Dollars Overpaid by Root Cause, Final 2015 IPIA Data for the period of July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015.
Note: It is difficult to prevent the vast majority of work search improper payments and only prevention of an improper payment can lower the overall estimated rate. All states are required to have laws requiring claimants to actively search for work and states vary in these requirements. Work search is challenging to validate and most errors can only be detected through after the fact reviews.
The following table tracks the status of state plans and implementation of core strategies.
|3||Not on Track|
|State||SQSP / Strategic Plan Development||SIDES Implementation||TOP Implementation||Claimant Employer Messaging||ES Registration||NDNH Recommended Procedures|
- Claimant-Employer Messaging is for the implementation of at least one product from the toolkit published at UIPL No. 11-12.
- ES Registration is only a core strategy for states that previously received 2011 and 2012 SBR funds for this purpose.
- NDNH Recommended Procedures is a core strategy for states that received 2011 and 2012 SBR funds.