Labor Symposium at American University
(April 26, 2013)
- AU's day–long symposium on 100 years of U.S. labor and employment relations provided a look back, as well as a look forward at the changing nature of the U.S. workforce in a global economy.
- Solicitor of Labor Patricia Smith took part in a morning panel focused on efforts to ensure worker protections for farmworkers.
- Dr. James Goldgeier, Dean of AU's School of International Service, greets Acting Secretary Harris in the atrium of the newly renovated SIS Building on AU's Northwest Washington, DC campus.
- Dean Goldgeier, an expert in contemporary international relations, American foreign policy, and transatlantic security introduces Acting Secretary Harris for the keynote session.
- During his keynote address, Acting Secretary Harris talked about how the nature of the work of the Department of Labor has changed, but its importance has not.
- Dean Goldgeier sat down to ask Acting Secretary Harris some additional questions on the modern role of the Labor Department.
- Acting Secretary Harris responds to a question from the audience about the role of labor relations in international relations.
- Acting Deputy Undersecretary for International Affairs Carol Pier takes part in an afternoon panel during the AU symposium.