Photo Gallery: Secretary Solis at White House for Summer Jobs+
(January 5, 2012)
- Secretary Solis joined corporate, non-profit and government leaders at the White House kickoff of the 2012 Summer Jobs+ initiative. Last year Secretary Solis secured more than 80,000 commitments to hire young people, this year the goal is to reach 250,000 by the start of summer through various pathways to employment for low-income and disconnected youth.
- Secretary Solis presents Lytana Kids, Vice President of Global Workforce Planning for UPS with an award for their contributions to the 2011 Summer Jobs Initiative
- During a panel discussion on the impact of summer jobs, Jose-Luis Mejia (left) and Bryon Holston (right) shared how summer jobs helped expose them to possibilities and move from the being on the wrong track, to being on track for career success.
- The 2011 Summer Jobs Champions (from left to right): Secretary Solis; Laura Shulte, Executive Vice President for Regional Banking at Wells Fargo; Michael Hughes, CEO of the Golf Course Owners Association; Jim Singerling, CEO of Club Managers Association of America, Rhett Evans, CEO of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America, Allen Wronowski, President of PGA of America, James White, President and CEO of Jamba Juice, and Lytana Kids, Vice President of Global Workforce Planning for UPS.
- During the event, Secretary Solis had a chance to hear from rock legend and President's Council on Community Solutions member Jon Bon Jovi about the need to coordinate efforts and reach deep into our most troubled communities.
- After hearing reports back from each of the breakout sessions, Secretary Solis and Senior Advisor to the President Valerie Jarrett discussed next steps to ensure that America's young people have access to summer job opportunities in 2012.