Photo Gallery: Upper Big Branch-South Mine Briefing in Beckley, WVa.
(December 6, 2011)
- MSHA Assistant Secretary Joseph Main introduces Secretary Solis prior to meeting with the families of the victims of the tragic 2010 explosion at the Upper Big Branch mine in West Virginia.
- Secretary Solis visits with families prior to the Upper Big Branch accident investigation report briefing.
- Secretary Solis addresses families of fallen miners at Upper Big Branch, citing corporate culture as the root cause of the tragedy.
- Secretary Solis assures families that this report is not the end – that she would continue to support the U.S. Department of Justice to hold those responsible for the explosion accountable for their actions.
- MSHA Administrator for Coal Kevin Stricklin discusses MSHA's accident investigation report findings during the family meeting.
- Secretary Solis announces in a press conference on the findings of the Upper Big Branch accident investigation that MSHA is assessing the largest civil penalty in the history of the agency.
- Secretary Solis stresses the importance of mine operators taking the safety and health of their workers seriously, and pledges to be vigilant in her support of stronger legislation to protect miners.