Photo Gallery: Secretary Solis at Capitol UI Extension Press Conference
(November 30, 2011)
- Secretary Solis joined unemployed teacher Jill Fleming-Salopek and out of work bus driver Vincent Brandon, along with members of Congress to talk about the importance of extending funding for federal unemployment insurance benefit programs.
- Minority Whip Steny Hoyer vows to pass an extension of UI funding as Sandy Levin, Rosa DeLauro, Jack Reed, James Clyburn, and Secretary Solis look on.
- An out-of-work member of DC's IBEW Local 26 listens in, surrounded by unemployed steelworkers from New York.
- Congressman Lloyd Doggett speaks about the bill he introduced which would extend federal funding for unemployment insurance benefits.
- Prior to the press conference, Secretary Solis meets with members of congress and Jill Fleming-Salopek.
- Sandy Levin hosted the press conference in conjunction with the National Employment Law Project to draw attention to the more than 5 million people who stand to lose benefits if federal funding is allowed to expire in December.