Photo Gallery: Vulnerable Workers in the 21st Century: Installment One: Restaurant Workers
(November 17, 2011)
- Secretary Solis welcomes the panelists and guests to the webcast to discuss vulnerable women workers in the restaurant industry. The panelists (seated left to right) were Laine Romero-Alston of the Ford Foundation, Assistant Secretary of OSHA David Michaels, Deputy Administrator of the Wage and Hour Division Nancy Leppink and Saru Jayaraman of the Restaurant Opportunities Centers United.
- Director of the Office of Public Engagement Dr. Gabriela Lemus and Phil Tom, director of the Center for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, listen to panel presentations along with approximately 200 participants around the country.
- Saru Jayaraman describes in statistical and human terms the gender disparity of women who work in restaurants nationwide.
- Nancy Leppink spoke about the enforcement initiatives of the Wage and Hour Division.
- Dr. David Michaels tells the audience: Every worker has a right to a safe workplace.
- Laine Romero-Alston invited participants to work with organizations like the Ford Foundation.